Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
frankyb01

Electrical Gremlins

Okay, this is one for you electricians out there. I'm pretty sure what my problem is so I'm putting this out there as a heads up for everyone else. Took the camper out for a four day weekend this past weekend. After hooking up the electric cord to shore power I went inside to set the clock on the Microwave and found it to be dead. No display, exhaust fan inop, lights inop, but when you open the door the tray is rotating slowly. Checked c/b's all good. Unplugged microwave and plugged light into outlet in cabinet where micro plugs in and the light worked. Plugged microwave back in. No display, no lights, no fan, but the turntable is turning slowly when you open the door. Every thing else in the trailer appeared to be normal, both 110v and 12 volt. After a couple of days without the micro and scratching my head (just couldn't believe the Micro had died already) I remembered reading a post here on the forum about someone have gremlins similar to this and traced it to a poorly assemble shore power cord. So with nothing else to lose I unplugged the cable from the camper, flexed the female plug back and forth several times and plugged it back in. Presto, the micro works. So this morning I brought my cord to work with me and did some continuity checks. When I measure between the red load wire and the white nuetral wire at the male plug while flexing the female end I get an intermittant reading of between 2 and 4 Mohms. That would be just enough to upset something electronic like the micro. I'm just surprised everything else on that side of the main was operating normally. So I either have corrosion inside my female plug, or a bad section of cable somewhere within six inches of the plug.
Don't you just love surpises?
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
notanlines

Thanks, Frankie! It is stories like this that help when we're running down the little "gremlins" that seem to go along on an occasional trip. Our last gremlin was a perfectly good "looking" fuse......without continuity.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
frankyb01

I've had that problem in the past also. One more reason not to trust the "IDIOT" lights in the fuse box.
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
cw3jason

That's why I always carry a Fluke meter. My friends brand new Montana has a USB charging station in the bedroom that didn't work. Pulled out the trusty Fluke and presto -12vdc. They wired it in reverse. DC does not work backwards. Switched the wires to get +12vdc and now he is charging his phones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Cflynt62

Thanks for sharing, this is great info.
Cflynt62 is offline   Reply With Quote