Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Tarfu

Refrigerator Not Cooling

Just got back to my 2002 Sprinter and the frig and freezer Dometic Mdl 2652) were not cold....my Beer was warm and I'm not in England So did some reading, turned off the frig let it cool down (I recently moved it and it was somewhat out of level, about 3" on the leftside) Still have warm beer....popped the outside grill for the frig, the heating cylinder is hot, but the coils are cool and there is a yellow chalky substance on the bottom of the compartment. I do not smell ammonia, outside or inside, but the warm beer is starting to get to me So a few questions:

1) Time to replace the cooling unit?
2) Watched some videos and I'm good with tools, so looks fairly straight forward to replace by a DIY'er, should I do it?
3) Would you consider a used part or just go new?
4) What do you consider a fair price? I'm in California so everything is gonna be expensive...
5) Consider moving to England and start drinking stout...

Any help is greatly appreciated...Bill
Tarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would say the cooling unit is most likely kaput.

Replacing it can be a DIY project with the proper tools, apptitude and patience. You should price a cooling unit vs a new refer and then ask yourself is the price difference worth the work involved.

There is more to it than just unscrewing the old and attaching the new unit. It involves applying special thermo conducting compound in somewhat precise amounts in specific areas.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The yellow chalky substance is sulphur and indicates corrosion that has eaten through the cooling unit coils. Even if you don't smell ammonia, the cooling unit is damaged. It is, as Chuckster57 stated, possible to change out the cooling unit with a new or remanufactured part. It is also an option to simply purchase a new refrigerator. Keep in mind that if you only change the cooling unit, all of the insulation in the box and door are still 2002 components. The electronics are still old, and the interior will still have any wear or defects/damage that is currently present.

The newer models from Dometic, Norcold and now Atwood are significantly improved over the refrigerator you currently have.

Compare the cost of a "new cooling unit", a remanufactured cooling unit and a new refrigerator. If you've currently got a 6 cuft unit, there is a 7 cuft replacement available and if yours is an 8 cuft size, there is a 9 cuft replacement on the market.

Only you know your mechanical ability and your pocket book, so do some research before you make your decisions. Good luck and I agree, this isn't Europe, we like our beer cold !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Tarfu

Thanks guys...did some digging around, found a rebuilt unit for 425+45 shipping and new complete refrig units starting at 1k.

In talking with some service departments, they quoted 1k+ just to replace the cooling unit....ouch!!

One service center recommended a particular company and one to definitely stay away from. Not sure if it's appropriate to name names here or not....pm if you are interested....going to pull the trigger on a rebuilt unit.....Bill
Tarfu is offline   Reply With Quote