Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
nevlarry

Couch Retainer

The couch on our 2014 Cougar 277RL tore loose from the wall on the maiden voyage home from dealer. Used RV so not covered by warranty. There is a 1" thick board stapled to the back of couch. The board was then screwed to the wall with 4 screws. I don't know what the screws were screwed in to but they pulled out. Anyone found a good way to retain the couch from sliding out while going down the road?
nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our sofa just sits in the slide. It isn't secured to anything. So far in about 10k miles, it hasn't moved. Are you sure you need to secure it? If you do, can you screw a couple of 1'x2' furring strips to the floor in front of the sofa legs? if you do that, make sure the screws don't extend below the bottom of the slide floor or they may scrape/tear the carpet or slide seals as the slide extends/retracts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What John said x2. Ours is unsecured and doesn't move around - even going over the horrific stretch of I20 between Shreveport and Jacksonville, MS.

Try it without being secured. If it does do the firring strip. A screw that would equal the thickness of the firring strip + 1/2 inch would probably be more than sufficient.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
denverpilot

Ours is also unsecured and only moves an inch or two. What was really annoying was the sofa was manufactured with wood screws and they left a couple sticking out the back. I was not happy when I found where they were poking into the wall. A hammer and they were bent over forever, but minor damage (at least it's hidden) done.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Ours is also unsecured and only moves an inch or two. What was really annoying was the sofa was manufactured with wood screws and they left a couple sticking out the back. I was not happy when I found where they were poking into the wall. A hammer and they were bent over forever, but minor damage (at least it's hidden) done.
Are you sure those two screws were from the manufacturer? Keystone usually secures sofas to the wall using two screws. They are usually through the back, near the top and on each side within 6" of the ends of the sofa. Every free standing sofa I've seen in a Keystone product that's covered with fabric has been attached this way. The vinyl/leather/pleather sofas, for some reason, seem to be left free standing without attachment.

For anyone who might want to move their sofa to clean under it or to prevent condensation behind it, check for those two screws before you pull your sofa away from the wall or you may find two pretty large holes caused by pulling those two screws out of the wall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
JoePK

Sofa

Hello, our 28rls had the same thing with the couch. The dealer was going to fix it the next time we were in the area, but after our first trip, we decided it's nice to be able to move it around when the bed is out. Also, we put blankets behind it when not using them. Ours is held in place when one of the rear lounge chairs is strapped on it. I don't think it would move very much anyways.