Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
chris7913

pump won't stop

I have a suburban water heater in my 320bhs. water system works fine when hot water tank is by passed. after I switch back and fill tank and purge system, I start having my problem. the pump will turn on when I open a faucet and won't stop until I run the hot water side for a good 10 seconds. and when I do air sputters out of the hot faucet. any ideas would be great. thank you.
chris7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
dougjoliefrey

On my new 310BHS it took almost 5 minutes to fill the hot water heater when I first filled the water tank. My thought is if you are getting spurts out of the hot water you still have air bubbles in the system which need to work their way out before the pump will stop. For me it seemed to take forever.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

You could open the pressure valve on the HWT get all the air out first after you filled it. Close it, than go around and open each hot water facet and the leave on afew mins to get air out of the lines. Include the showers. If that does not get the pump to stop, sounds like you have a leak. Opening the pressure valve seens to speed up the process of getting air out of the lines.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7913 View Post
I have a suburban water heater in my 320bhs. water system works fine when hot water tank is by passed. after I switch back and fill tank and purge system, I start having my problem. the pump will turn on when I open a faucet and won't stop until I run the hot water side for a good 10 seconds. and when I do air sputters out of the hot faucet. any ideas would be great. thank you.
1. From what you're saying I have to assume that you are using water from your fresh water tank. Is this correct?

2. If so, is the tank full ? If not fill it before proceeding.

3. You say you purged the system... The correct way to purge the air from the hot water system is to open the faucet closest to the hot water tank before turning on the pump. Then allow the tank to fill completely until only water comes from the faucet. This may take a while but wait it will happen. After that faucet is cleared proceed to the others in the trailer in order of their distance from the water heater, until all are purged... include the outside shower if so equipped.

Do the same for the cold water side...

As a note: the Hot water heater is designed to have an air space at the top of the tank to allow for expansion of the water as it heats. If you have "Purged" the system by opening the temp/pressure relief valve you will need to drain the water from the tank and start over.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Chris, go to your suburban manual. Mine is on page 7 and 8 for corrrect operations about storage,winterizing, the valve. Javi is giving information that will work. The tank needs a air pocket at the top. I have done it both ways with and without opening the valve. The manual says to remove all air from tank and lines after storage page 7. Thats how I get air out of it. A air pocket will develop in the tank that is the correct size page 8.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
chris7913

finally had time to drop off the tt at the dealer for service. the issue was a loose connection on the inlet on the pump. air was leaking into the system. when the pump was shut off the water in the line would drain back into the tank and the 3' of pipe would fill with air. pretty hard to purge with air always getting in. only good part was at least there was no water coming out of the connection causing damage.
chris7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7913 View Post
finally had time to drop off the tt at the dealer for service. the issue was a loose connection on the inlet on the pump. air was leaking into the system. when the pump was shut off the water in the line would drain back into the tank and the 3' of pipe would fill with air. pretty hard to purge with air always getting in. only good part was at least there was no water coming out of the connection causing damage.
Chris, you were lucky it didn't leak out, heard that here on different occasions. Glad you found the culprit. I will keep that filed in the back of my mind for future use, check all running lines type of thing.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote