Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Help...again! Outside lights won't go off!

Our initial voyage is finding some issues! We spent last night in Mobile, AL. It rained from 6pm until almost 7am. I went out with pup for nightly business about 10pm and turned the "flood" lights on which comprises two landing lights in the front and one big light at the front corner of the trailer. When I came in I turned the switch off...I did not look outside to see if they went off. This morning when hooking up the RV my wife told me to turn off the outside lights; I told her I did last night to which she replied "they're all still on". The switches are off and the lights still stay on. None of my fuses were labeled to indicate the outside lights so I pulled them all individually...the lights stayed on. None of the breakers are labeled for those lights so I didn't flip all of them.

It rained all night long and water from the roof drips from the drain spout right onto the top of the outside corner lamp. I'm wondering if water got in it somehow and shorted it and just "turned" them on. We just got into Vicksburg and it's getting dark so guess they will shine all night. Thought I would remove the switch panel tomorrow and disconnect the wires from the switch to make sure it didn't malfunction then see if I can remove the outside lamp. Looking at it I'm not sure how that happens. I don't think the front landing lights have anything to do with it but.... My thought is that if it was water in a connection in the lamp it would not just stay pretty and bright all the time just like the switch was on. Don't know just yet. Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I'm pretty savvy on a house, electric, plumbing, etc. but an RV has its own "stuff" I'm finding out. Your help is always greatly appreciated.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
RV 4 Fun

Not sure what options your unit has.....mine has a remote control that will turn the lights you describe on and off. could it be "on" without you knowing it? Looking for the easy solution.......
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

RV 4 Fun is right. Turn them off with the remote and the manual switch will start working again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

RV 4 Fun......THANK YOU!!!!

We have a remote and the only things they told us it controlled were the slides, awning and stabilizers. There is a button on it that I pushed this morning accidentally trying to hit the "on" button. When I did it said "toggle"; I had no idea what that meant but figured it was something to do with the remote. Couldn't see it do anything so didn't worry about it. After receiving your note I went thru the remote settings and when I hit toggle I just stepped outside and watched the lights....it turns them on and off!! I had no idea and we were worried sick. Thank you so much. As a side note I called the service manager where we bought the unit, described the situation and his recommendations were: to pull the lights, pull the main battery fuse, the positive lead had welded to the negative somewhere and completed the circuit, pull out the rocker switch panel etc. The REMOTE! Absolutely fantastic! I'm sure glad to know what "toggle" means now! Thanks again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote