Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
jbruere

Unsolved mystery of leaky toilet

Our camper is a 2012 Keystone Hideout 27DBS. We noticed the last couple months of camping that anytime we moved our camper, we would have liquid that originated from the bathroom running across the floor. Sometimes more than others, but definitely not "clean" water. We took the camper in last week to have it winterized and they were supposed to "repair" this leak. They told us they replaced the toilet seal. WEll....low and behold, we took the camper home and there was the liquid on the floor, running from what looks like the base of the toilet out from under the door to the kitchen area. This water was not pink (after winterization). It does not leak when the camper is sitting, only when we move it down the road. Also, I've completely emptied the toilet bowl after the pump is shut off, thinking maybe that it was splashing out of the bowl- not the case.

They just called and can not figure out where this leak is coming from. I'm hoping the wonderful people of the forum can help?!?!!?

Thanks!
jbruere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Take a good flashlight, hold the (ball or slide) open with the pedal or handle and look inside. You will be able to see if the toilet is centered on the seal correctly. If the dealer removed the toilet and reset it and no one used it there should be no way that dirty water could be present to run out. My personal opinion is that the problem you have with your toilet is your dealer.. It's time to take a peek at the dark side and let us know what you find.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
jbruere

They just called and said I need a whole new toilet
jbruere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
suza

Angry Possible lead on leaky toilet

Our 2014 Cougar 279RKS developed a mysterious leaking toilet during it's second season. RV out of warranty, but toilet still within its two year period.

It appears to be fresh water leaking out from the toilet base. But, it did not leak every time - sometimes when hooked up to water supply, sometimes not. Sometimes when boondocking, sometimes not. Also noticed some water dripping down the drain pipe in the garage under the bathroom. Not a lot, perhaps couple of tablespoons over the course of a couple of days. We ruled out water sloshing out during transport (apparently not that common, except over seriously rough terrain?)

Made an appointment to have it checked by the dealer. The technicians could not get it to leak. They checked the seal, the water supply, flush valve, the pressure regulator and I'm not sure what else, but were unable to diagnose the cause without seeing the leak in action. We were advised to let them know if the problem returned.

The next time we took it out, it did not leak. Thought perhaps it was a freak leak that went away. Then, on the following trip, it leaked one day and not the next. So, I stopped and told the service department. Since we had it checked, they had experienced some problems with that particular toilet (Dometic 310) - some defect in the way the bowl seals to the base. The solution - Dometic will replace the toilet. I haven't asked yet, if it is with the same toilet or if they have done something to remedy the problem. Might just be a case of "try a new one and see if it works better". Seems that RV repairs are like that, a lot. If Dometic chooses to simply replace the toilet with another problematic model, I'd say that's pretty poor business and I will go in search of a better one (once the warranty on the toilet expires).

Has anyone else had this same problem and diagnosis with a model 310 Dometic? Did the replacement toilet fix the problem? What toilets seem to be relatively trouble free? Maybe we just got a "C#@**y toilet
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote