Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Fastback

Larado work continues

Still working on the Laredo. Yesterday, I was finally able to put the finishing touches on the inside finish. This included the fascia around the perimeter.

I did have to make to new vertical boards. The originals had some water damage. I used real red oak. Since I am also a wood worker I had some rough material on hand. My fascia is 6 inch x 3/4, I had a 17 inch wide x 4/4 so I was able to plane it down to the correct thickness. The color match was good, I had some golden oak stain so that was used.

My wife and I made a trip to Lowes and found some filler color crayons 4 to a pack that would match up to what I was doing. On the ceiling I was able to use some white nail hole filler that came in a tube. Every thing worked out very well.

Since I was on a roll I decided to remove the window in the rear of the unit to replace the seal. This window had leaked in the past (based on stains etc) so it seemed that it might be time. The factory used a stick on foam tape but I went with tape caulk. IMO, it makes for a better seal.

Oh, and I have been changing the exterior screws as I go along since many are rusty and not very attractive.

So the work continues.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
iamrwnut

Take pictures as you go, then share your work with us. Good luck with the work.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Fastback

I tend to forget about pictures. I did get one or two of the roof after the plywood was replaced. I don't have before and after. I'll see if I can upload a couple.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
lightning79

Are you restoring an older unit?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Fastback

I don't consider it a restoration more of a rebuild. Yes, it is old based on what I am seeing here, it's a 2001 27RK.

I'm going to try and post a few pictures.

The first is of the staging and tarp I used to cover everything to protect from the elements. The second is of the replaced plywood roof just before the rubber roofing was installed. I used Gorilla 9 mil tape over center seam and the outside edges. I also placed the tape over the studs where stapes and screws were used.

Hope everything loads alright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0419 copy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2989   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0413 copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2990  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Fastback

Took the tarpaulin off the other day because we were expecting rain. I left the slide out extended and checked for leaks every once and while. For the last few days we have been having rain showers with very heavy down pours.

Happy to report that everything is working out well.

Today our new mattress was delivered. We ended out getting one from Campers World its a euro pillow top. Its got to be better than the 12 year old 6 inch one that was in the camper.

Also had new tires installed. We ended out with the Goodyear Marathon, made in China, of course.

Thing as getting fined one thing at a time.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
iamrwnut

Excellent news!! That is a lot of work and with no leaks it sounds like it has been successful so far. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote