Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Bowti

Pre Delivery Inspection

I will be taking delivery of my 28SGS soon and I am wondering what to expect the dealer to cover with me. I have a copy of the PDI Checklist, so I have a good idea what to look for, but will it be my responsibility to go over everything, or can I expect the dealer to be going over things for me.

I would like to know what has been your experiences when accepting new unites.

Thanks Bill
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
chartrand

The dealer will do what they do with most every customer and for the most part most dealer probably do well by there customers. That said.. This is your PDI, and it's not over until your satisified. So if you take the list, check things off as they go through. If an area is not covered, then tell them so. They will go into more detail if you ask them to. I would recommend that you send a copy of the PDI list to your dealer a few days prior to your PDI, as they may need to schedule additional time.

-Pat
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
therink

I just took delivery of my rig last week anf used the pdi form. When I arrived I let them know I would sign paperwork once pdi was completed and was satified. I also let them know ahead of time that I would need about three hours and would need a qualified tech ready to make repairs as I findproblems. This put the nature of the pdi in my hands.
I arrived half hour early and had my tools, flashlights work clothes, good attitude and teenage son to help. I started in sequence an went down entire list including filling all 4 holding tanks beyond capacity. I also tested the black tank flush. As the tanks were overfilled and fresh water system pressurized, I opened all cabinets and removed access panels to expose all hidden pex connections and above tank drain pipe fittings (checking for leaks which none were found).
I did find and had the following items repaired before I left: Leaking black tank flush vacuum breaker under bathroom sink, leaking shower glass enclosure, two loose exterior storage door holders (had the stripped scews removed, drilled out and SS through bolts with washers installed), new bolts on exterior 50amp receptacle. That is it.
I find a few additional fit and finish items on interior that needed tightening or adjusment but decided to take care of these myself when I got it home. Bottom line is I found two leaks that would have ruined the first trip and also no need to bring it back.
I have since combed through the entire rig 3 or 4 times and feel I got "one of the good ones".
Good luck and remember you are inthe driver seat until you sign the paperwork. After that, who knows?
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Gonfast38

Mine took about 2 hours. They went thru everything and answered all my questions. Since I am not new to RVing, I told them they could skip over some of it since I knew how to raise the antenna, how to drain the tanks, etc., but they were more than willing to go over that if needed. I had one piece of trim loose and they fixed that before I left. All in all, a good experience.

I do have an ongoing problem discussed in another post, but that would not have shown up in the delivery inspection. Keystone is stepping up to the plate to fix that.
Gonfast38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
SteveC7010

We purchased the Cougar at a deep discount because it had been a floor model at the dealership for several months or more. We gave the dealer a list of stuff to repair or replace at the same time that we signed the papers. Buying a floor model has it's strong and weak points. I am certain that we would not have done so if this had been our very first RV.

The dealership advised that we allow at least 4 hours for a full PDI. They also stated that if we felt it was necessary, they would make the tech available for an additional four hours.

Like Steve R, we had the tech skip a bunch of the "how to operate or maintain" items that we were familiar with, and concentrated on making sure everything worked, nothing leaked, and the fifth wheel aspect since it is our first 5er. There were a few new-to-us things like the black tank flush that we had him cover as well.

For first time buyers, take lots of notes. Some folks even video the entire PDI. Have the tech show you where things like the water pump and convertor are located. Have them walk you through complete winterization and de-winterization procedures. Eyeball the back side of the water heater so that you know where it is and how to operate the bypass. Make sure you understand how to run the water heater on gas and on electric. Even little things like, "Where is the switch for this?" are very important. Make sure you completely understand dumping procedures and how to care for your holding tanks. Have the tech show you all of the dump valves! Learn how to operate the furnace and the air conditioner. Completely understand the propane system. That's only a partial list. Don't overlook anything, large or small.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
FlyingBelle

We used our iPad to record sections of the PDI that we knew we'd want to review. Sometimes things make sense when they are shown to you, but the next day when you go to do it your mind can come up blank! We also used it to video DH talking about the tips that he wanted to remember.

On a couple items, we had them show us, then we did and "undid" it to make sure we knew what we were doing.

Our guys were awesome - totally patient and answers a bunch of "dumb questions" we had!
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote