Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Cougarfamily

Questions on a Cougar 5vr

A couple dumb questions that I have about maintaining our new 5vr. The manual doesn't fully answer these.

1. With ultra-lube axles, I assume I can use the marine grade grease that I have already loaded in grease gun? Is it okay to mix brands, types?

2. Is it normal for when the battery is disconnected, that the docking lights and slide-outs still operate? Then, can the battery still be charged with camper plugged-in to shore power while in disconnect mode?

3. Where do you place jack to raise the coach in case of a flat, or to adjust the brakes? The axle manual states not to jack on the axles themselves. I haven't really looked underneath yet, but I don't recall seeing anything the one time while putting on the wheel protectors for storage.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

On our '08 Cougar, the slides will not operate if the battery is disconnected or if the battery is discharged. I do not have a battery disconnect switch so I can't offer any feedback to you about the other part of your question.
Rather than use a jack to change a flat, some people simply drive up on a raised and grooved ramp on the good tire. These ramps can be purchased commercially or you can make your own at home. Placing the good tire on the ramp raises the flat tire enough so you can change it or perform brake maintenance and servicing.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
A couple dumb questions that I have about maintaining our new 5vr. The manual doesn't fully answer these.

1. With ultra-lube axles, I assume I can use the marine grade grease that I have already loaded in grease gun? Is it okay to mix brands, types?
Don't assume. There are some high temp and viscosity requirements for the grease used in these axles. Check either Dexter's or Al-Ko's website for grease recommendations. They both have lists of approved greases.

Quote:
2. Is it normal for when the battery is disconnected, that the docking lights and slide-outs still operate? Then, can the battery still be charged with camper plugged-in to shore power while in disconnect mode?
I am guessing that you mean the the battery switch is turned off when you say the battery is disconnected. If the unit is shore-lined, the convertor might be able to run the slides and it will certainly still run the docking lights. If it is not shore-lined, and the battery switch is off, it's possible that things like the slides and docking lights are wired upstream of the switch leaving them hot. Guess you need to describe the condition a bit more thoroughly to give a firm answer.

Quote:
3. Where do you place jack to raise the coach in case of a flat, or to adjust the brakes? The axle manual states not to jack on the axles themselves. I haven't really looked underneath yet, but I don't recall seeing anything the one time while putting on the wheel protectors for storage.
If jacking by the frame, place the jack either immediately forward from the front spring shackle or immediately behind the rear spring shackle. But, as Festus already pointed out, it's a lot easier to drive the unaffected wheel up on a ramp or blocks.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
PerryB

The trailers I've had always came with a molybdenum based all purpose grease in the wheels. Water resistant grease is its own breed of cat and doesn't mix well with others. I always place the jack under the axle whenever possible. The trick is to place the jack directly under the spring. This keeps the stresses on the frame the same as they always are. What you DON'T want to do is put the jack under the center of the axle. This will likely bend it. I am also NOT a fan of lifting the axle by jacking up the frame.At least not by only one point. If you have to "hang" an axle, jack the frame just ahead and behind the spring attach points.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
concours

Our 2013 Cougar 331mks has a battery disconnect switch and yes the slides still work when the battery is connected and the disconnect switch is in the off possition, I use a good brand of automotive wheel bearing grease for the hubs and jack up under the axle as close to the spring as possible
Hope that helps
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Escs36

I carry a block of wood and drive the trailer onto the block. A couple 2x6 staggered offers the right jump and height. Just remember to loosen the nuts before if you do not have an impact. I also carry an 18 volt 1/2" cordless impact. Tire changes go extremely fast!

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Our 2013 Cougar 331mks has a battery disconnect switch and yes the slides still work when the battery is connected and the disconnect switch is in the off possition, I use a good brand of automotive wheel bearing grease for the hubs and jack up under the axle as close to the spring as possible
Hope that helps
X2

On the battery disconnect... If yours has the remote control, then everything that the remote control works to activate will work with the battery disconnect in the off position. The remote's control panel is wired directly to the battery, up stream of the disconnect switch. My landing gear, docking lights, slides all work with the disconnect thrown to the off position. The battery will not charge when in the off position as the convertor is off-line with the disconnect in the off position; no way for the current to get from it to the battery as it is down stream from the disconnect. The only way to truly disconnect the battery is to remove the cables or install another switch in the remote control panel's cable.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
raytronx

Jacking, I use the Trailer Aid Plus. But even with that much lift I still had to but an additional 2x6 under it to get the tire to lift. I have the Trail-Air Equalizer on my suspension.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Cougarfamily

Thanks for the good advice everyone!

What I don't understand then, is of what purpose is a battery cut-off switch, if it doesn't cut everything out?

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
jsmith948

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice everyone!

What I don't understand then, is of what purpose is a battery cut-off switch, if it doesn't cut everything out?
We had the same question with our 5er. The battery disconnect will help to prevent your batteries from going dead due to the parasitic drain from your stereo, propane leak detector etc.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We had the same question with our 5er. The battery disconnect will help to prevent your batteries from going dead due to the parasitic drain from your stereo, propane leak detector etc.
Jack, I was relieved to find that my Cougar didn't have a battery disconnect switch. I didn't have to fool around with what it would and would not do.

I bought a Blue Sea marine dual battery disconnect (M Series #6007) switch and installed it myself. I did need to pick up a few feet of black and white #4 marine wire and matching cable lugs.

Mine is wired right to the batteries so that OFF means everything is off. I can run one or the other or both batteries as needed.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I think you'll find the hard wired detectors (propane and CO) are NOT switched. Its probably a safety code, but renders the so-called disconnect basically useless. Two of the three parasitic loads are constantly hot regardless of switch position. I did as many others have and installed a disconnect on the ground side of the battery(s). I have two 6v's in series so I have only one ground cable. Now everything is dead when the switch is off.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
jsmith948

Steve & PerryB - thanks for the info. I didn't realize the leak detector remained on. I guess my battery switch simply shuts the stereo off. Probably moot since I leave the 5er plugged in with the switch "on". Thanks for the feedback - love this forum!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote