Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Acrown

Maintenance in HOA

Just curious what others do. I like to do my own repairs, enhancements, maintenance, work on my 5th wheel but I live in a HOA that has a 24hr max on parking a 5th wheel. I store it at a storage facility but cannot work on it there since I need to open slides and there is not enough room. I suppose I could maybe ask the RV dealer where I purchased it from to allow me to work on it. Any other ideas. I don't want to move!
Acrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Live out in the country. No HOA for me!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
f6bits

My storage lot has a huge area away from the parking spots for trailer work. That area also has a hose for washing the trailer. I've never seen anybody park there overnight, but the office staff is very nice and would probably allow it for a good reason.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
tanman32225

I have the same HOA limitations, however, my yard and driveway is quite adequate to open up the slides. I pull mine to our home and do what I need to do. If it takes more than a day so be it. I have never had a complaint as yet from any neighbors since it is gone in a day or two. In your situation maybe you can find a friend with mutual interest that will allow you to do your work in his driveway or yard. You can always use an RV park. Never heard of one not allowing repairs there. I see people in Camping World lots working on their stuff all the time. Your RV dealer may allow it.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
cathcartww

We are in the same situation at the house - only we are allowed to leave the trailer on the street for 48 hours, but can only put the slides out momentarily as the protrude into the street. There is no way I could get the trailer into the driveway, and it is too narrow for the slides anyway.

We have a storage spot that is big enough to extend the slides. Don't have any hook ups, but with a small generator, we can do most the maintenance there.

I would look around for a better storage place .....

Another thought would be to find a industrial park or school that would have empty parking lots on the weekend ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
campingcpl

We too have the HOA restrictions but have never had any complaints if the trailer was left outside the house for a couple of days. I'm sure if you talked to the HOA about having the trailer sitting there for an extra day I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
CampDestinations.com

Ugh. The dreaded HOA. So glad I avoided one when I bought my home.

Some RV parks have areas where you can do maintenance yourself. Call around to a few. If you don't find any, try a marina since they sometimes provide a designated area for people to work on their own boats. There must be one or two around the lake there.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Outbackmel

Thought

Why not drive around your home area and look within say a 5 mile radius for people who may be interested in picking up some cash for storage. We live in a 500 home development with strict HOA. Fortunate to be able to park our 5er in the overflow clubhouse area for up to 3 nights. (no power). We ONLY use it when returning from a trip. I can't see myself advertising we are loading and leaving.

Fortunately we have a great permanent spot 52 miles north of home and it takes 1hr 20 mins door to door. We use the RV off and on almost every month, even as a go to place just for a change of pace. Retired, we have PLENTY of time

Well, we did work 38 years to get here!!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Why not drive around your home area and look within say a 5 mile radius for people who may be interested in picking up some cash for storage. We live in a 500 home development with strict HOA. Fortunate to be able to park our 5er in the overflow clubhouse area for up to 3 nights. (no power). We ONLY use it when returning from a trip. I can't see myself advertising we are loading and leaving.

Fortunately we have a great permanent spot 52 miles north of home and it takes 1hr 20 mins door to door. We use the RV off and on almost every month, even as a go to place just for a change of pace. Retired, we have PLENTY of time

Well, we did work 38 years to get here!!
That is a good piece of advice. People in the excavating and trucking business often times have a little room to spare. I actually put water,electricity and sewage next to the shop at my place of business. Fortunately, storage is not an issue at my residence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Mighty Ming

Purposely moved to a neighborhood without an HOA. Store trailer in side yard however not enough room to open slides. So I pull her out when needed to work with slides open... Street is plenty wide and if needed I can angle her in driveway. Now HOWEVER. Due to people living in their RV's along the coastline for weeks n months at a time... Dumping their trash (including syringes) n sewage (leaking) from their dilapidated RV's and using drugs/prostituting, the city is imposing a city wide ordinance prohibiting parking RV's longer than 72 hrs without a permit which is free to RESIDENTS wanting to park in front of their residence..keyword RESIDENCE. RV's will not only be cited but also towed. A resident will be allowed to park his RV in front of their residence for 72 hrs once a week to allow for repairs, loading n off loading. Will not have impact on residents only the transients. Keep in mind these are transients living in Rat infested type RV's. the kind you wouldn't want your dog to stay in. Initially I was opposed but again it's not targeting the law abiding. Oh how do I know they're drug users in Rat infested run down (at times not drivable) RV's. I'm one of the men in blue who has had to move them on or relieve them of their freedom. Truly a big problem but I see the ordinance solving our issues so our families and visitors can enjoy our coastline. So that said HOA's have their disadvantages and advantages. All depends on how you look at it. Safe travels to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
JeffS

Check your bylaws closely. We live in a condo and the bylaws limit having our 5th wheel on site to 24 hours - UNLESS we get "written permission" form the Condo Board to extend. I have found them usually willing to go 3 days.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hoa, maintenance