Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
cunninghamjr

hot water heater question

can you have the electric on with the gas in case the pilot light goes out the electric will keep the water hot and how many black tanks are they on a 3750 model my says 2 black and 1 gray and they are labled wrong i think it should be 2 gray and 1 black???????
cunninghamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
mikell

The water heater if fine to keep on electric then turn on the gas if your going to use alot. We're fulltimers and thats what we do. In the morning get up turn the gas on and 2 long hot showers isn't a problem
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Outbackmel

yes

You can operate HW heaters using both. I do it all the time. Can you, should you, LEAVE them both on for an extended period, probably not wise, BUT, you may get a different opinion soon.

Sounds like they are mislabled tanks, which is common...probably fctory let's have some fun on this build night...

Go to the web site for Keystone RV and look up your unit and specs. They are out there.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninghamjr View Post
can you have the electric on with the gas in case the pilot light goes out the electric will keep the water hot and how many black tanks are they on a 3750 model my says 2 black and 1 gray and they are labled wrong i think it should be 2 gray and 1 black???????
You would only have two black tanks if you have two toilets.

How old is your trailer that it has a pilot light???? Most today are electronic ignition. .... The electric should maintain water temp and gas would only come on when needed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
JP4

When I picked up my new 5th wheel last week, the dealer told me to leave them both on. They are designed to compliment each other. The electric maintains the heat and the gas quickly/and more efficiently brings the tank back up to temp. Plus you use less gas that way and take advantage of using electricity "you are paying for" at the campsite. You can leave them both on all the time, no problems...

The Palmers
2012 Passport 5260RL Ultra Lite
2002 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4L
JP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
hankaye

JP4, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
Plus you use less gas that way and take advantage of using electricity "you are paying for" at the campsite. You can leave them both on all the time, no problems...
Good idea unless you pay for the elect. by the kwHr (fulltiming and stay for awhile).......Heating elements draw a huge amount of kw's .....have
other things I like to spend my $'s on.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote