Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
f6bits

Question Braided stainless steel plumbing lines

As I was installing an accumulator next to my pump (TOTALLY worth the effort), I noticed the water lines are very similar to stick house bathroom plumbing for the toilet and faucets.

After searching here and Google, I can't find anybody saying they've used the braided stainless steel lines in their trailer. Any reason why not? It's very flexible and has proven itself extremely reliable in the house. It's also readily available at Home Depot.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely explanation I can provide is cost. Since the manufacturers buy miles of pex tubing, it's got to be cheaper to just use pex all the way.

Beside that, braided line isn't color coded. Most RV's use white or blue for cold and red for hot, makes it easy for the guy on the assembly line to hook up the faucet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Flexible, braided SS lines are sometimes recommended for use in the short inlet/outlet runs at the water pump. The rigid plastic lines are more prone to vibration and noise and replacing them with the braided SS can sometimes reduce or eliminate excessive noise from the water pump.

I think that the reasons that the existing plastic lines are not replaced by the owner may be that they are doing a "satisfactory job" - not leaking and standing up well. Probably something akin to "if it ain't broke - don't fix it". Another reason may be the additional cost of the braided SS line as opposed to the lower-cost plastic piping.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
f6bits

Thanks for the responses. As I dig into the lines around my pump, I'm finding that the elbowed ends are leaking a tiny bit where the hose meets the fitting, plus they're so stiff I'm finding it difficult to work in the confined space. Not to mention that it's more hose than is necessary. Had I known that braided stainless was an option, I would have gone that route rather than the "silencing" kit I installed when I installed my pump.

At this point, I'd like to re-do all of it to neaten it up, thanks to the variety of lengths available in braided stainless steel.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
slow

When redoing my pump plumbing and installing an accumulator tank, I considered using SS lines but did not. The inside diameter of the SS hoses are much smaller than than the hoses used on the TT to the faucets or the pump silencer kit hoses I ended up using for my pump replumb (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ncer-kit/29361).

I do not know if there would have been any negative consequence on the water flow if I had used the SS lines, but I decided it was not worth taking the chance increasing the resistance at the pump. I did however use a SS line with shut off valve at the toilet when I replaced our 300 with a 320 since the SS lines can make a tighter loop than the other hoses as you pointed out.

Here are some before and after pictures of my pump replumb project: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/album.php?albumid=709
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
f6bits

Slow, I considered the diameter issue, but went ahead because:
1) The end of the hoses look to have about the same diameter hole
2) I use these braided lines at home and get quite a bit of flow

When I redid my pump, I also got the SHURflo silencing kit. During my current project, I'll reconsider which hoses I keep. Your replumb project sure cleaned things up! I have a little less space than your end result, and my WaterWorker accumulator is pretty big. It's workable, though. I'll take some pictures when I'm done.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-29-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
slow

Please do post when you are done and thanks for the link to the WaterWorker tank. That looks like a upgrade I could easily make.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
f6bits

I finished the braided stainless steel upgrade. The original hoses were very stiff.

I connected a T straight to the city hose connection. The pump feeds into the T. The T is connected to another T. The accumulator tank feeds into the T. The T feeds into the trailer plumbing. Water flow looks as good as ever. Not a surprise since everything (except the bath tub) is low flow. I haven't checked how fast the tub fills yet, but we're never in a hurry to fill the tub.

The earlier leaks are gone. Now I have a slow drip from the adaptor on the accumulator tank. I'll try more than the current two layers of Teflon tape. I also have a brass adapter I can try.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I finished the braided stainless steel upgrade. The original hoses were very stiff.

I connected a T straight to the city hose connection. The pump feeds into the T. The T is connected to another T. The accumulator tank feeds into the T. The T feeds into the trailer plumbing. Water flow looks as good as ever. Not a surprise since everything (except the bath tub) is low flow. I haven't checked how fast the tub fills yet, but we're never in a hurry to fill the tub.

The earlier leaks are gone. Now I have a slow drip from the adaptor on the accumulator tank. I'll try more than the current two layers of Teflon tape. I also have a brass adapter I can try.
Thanks for posting the (near) completed project. I will need to look into getting that tank.

BTW: How long does the pump run to fill the tank?
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Steve S

I've changed as many supply lines that I can with braided lines.The reason why is it's not if the poly lines will leak it's when!
I've done so many insurance claims because of water damage due to poly supply lines and it's always the same; the supply lines will pop out of the ferrel fittings if there's a surge in water pressure.
Imagine coming back to your trailer and finding a flood Even after a clean up and repairs it'll never be the same and yes you'll have some odd smells down the road.
In my mind and my way of thinking it's better to spend a couple hundred on braided lines as it gives you a piece of mind that everything will be fine while you're enjoying your travels
Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
f6bits

Thanks for the input Steve S. I'll continue to hunt down poly lines and check them. Even the PEX fittings irk me because they're hard to work with.

slow, it takes less than a minute to fill up the accumulator. It's a two-gallon container, but probably fills up half to three-quarters before it reaches pressure cutoff. With a 3.0GPM pump, maybe it's really closer to 30 seconds. It just feels like longer when I'm doing nothing but waiting for it to stop. With that in mind, that would theoretically give you 30 seconds of running water later on without the pump turning on. It really is the bee's knees.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
slow, it takes less than a minute to fill up the accumulator. It's a two-gallon container, but probably fills up half to three-quarters before it reaches pressure cutoff. With a 3.0GPM pump, maybe it's really closer to 30 seconds. It just feels like longer when I'm doing nothing but waiting for it to stop. With that in mind, that would theoretically give you 30 seconds of running water later on without the pump turning on. It really is the bee's knees.
Thanks! Now I need to wait until spring to confirm I can fit the tank in my space with it standing vertical to aid winterizing.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing