Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
LuvsPalmTrees

Help! We got hit

Hi everyone - well the unthinkable happened on Saturday. We got hit in the side of our Laredo 294RK. She started at the skirt and stopped at the large slide-out. It really does not look that bad but it has to go in to be repaired. Has anyone ever had to deal with this? Any suggestions in the Macomb County area of Michigan? I really have not heard good things about General RV so I would like to avoid them if at all possible.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Sorry to hear that your Laredo was damaged. Have you had a "heart to heart" with your insurance adjuster? Often times they have "first hand knowledge" from working with dealerships in the recent past. If your adjuster isn't receptive to making suggestions, then here's my thoughts:

I can't say much about any of the "collision repair centers" around your area. I can relate that when the tree fell on our Springdale 3 years ago, Camping World in Houghton Lake did the repairs. Our insurance was Progressive and the two of them worked together to repair the trailer. They pulled the entire roof off the Springdale, rebuilt/repaired everything and installed new OSB, some of the rafters, new A/C ducting, wiring, a new TPO roof membrane and new aluminum moldings.

While I can't compare their work to anyone else, I can say that it looked "as good as new" and there were some "old issues" I had with the factory installation of the sidewall/roof moldings that I hadn't discussed with anyone at CW. Those "ill fitting" moldings were not present when CW completed the repairs, so I'd say they did a better job than the factory, at least in lining up the molding and making sure the corners fit well.

Now, I would remind you that CW in Bellville is an "entirely different animal" from the CW in Houghton Lake. They aren't managed by or staffed by the same people, so I wouldn't expect the same type service based on the name.

If you're unsure of General RV and don't know anyone you trust around Sterling Heights, based on my experience with CW at Houghton Lake, a short trip north to Houghton Lake is what I'd recommend.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
KcubSamoht

We had someone do the same hit to our Premier 34BHPR. I went to General RV in Wixom and found out that they wanted $75 just to give me an estimate! I thought that they were trying to earn my business. Well, after arguing the point, they finally gave me an estimate for $4500 for the repair. When I submitted the estimate to the insurance place, they suggested a smaller place in Brighton (I know, I'm getting further away from Macomb county here). I went there, and got a FREE estimate for $2000 for the repairs. I called them up and reviewed the estimate to make sure they quoted everything General RV did, and they had. I ended up going there for the repairs. I can't say anything about the quality of the repairs yet, since I just dropped it off last week, but so far it has been great to work with them. Oh, and to top it off, I get a call yesterday from General saying my parts were in for the repair. I don't ever remember telling them to order the parts.

I'm sure there's places closer to you, but I went to Superior Collision in Brighton. They're on Old US-23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KcubSamoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
LuvsPalmTrees

Thanks for the suggestions. I looks like we are going to go to the dealer we purchased it from. They are a small mom and pop in Lapeer. Circle K RV - they were great to work with when we purchased it and it is nice to know that the owner does all the collision estimates. We have to wait for the police report then we can turn everything into the insurance company. What a hassle.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote