Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
Quiroule

Screws rusted trough

While checking the underside of the FW I found out that most of the crews holding the curved metal sheet on both sides of the FW had rusted trough.

That someone would put no washers on small screw holding a thin piece of sheet metal exposed to the elements is beyond me, but I am not surprised.

Anyway, here is my fixe.

Hope this is going to last.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

From the photos you posted, it looks like you have an issue with galvanic corrosion. The steel in the frame rails, the screws holding the skirting in place and the aluminum skirt are all "different" types of metal. When water, salt and the metals meet, it sets up an "electrochemical" process by which the "weakest" metal deteriorates faster than the "stronger" metals. In your situation, the aluminum in the skirting is corroding faster than the screws or the frame rail.

By placing a washer and new screw next to the "old damage", you're just going to move the problem a few inches away from where it started.

I'd suggest you remove your new screws, treat the area with a good primer (to seal the bare metal) and then when you reinstall the new washers/screws, use a rubber "insulator" between the washer and the aluminum skirting and then apply a "sealer" such as silicone over the entire surface to prevent moisture, salt and air from getting to the area. If you leave it like you currently have them installed, the outer rim of the new washers and the aluminum skirting will start corroding just like what you have around the old screws.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
bobbecky

Even better yet, to deal with the corrosion issues, just switch the screws and washers to stainless steel. Even with the stainless steel hardware, I would still use an antisieze compound, just in case you ever want to remove the screws.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote