Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
tdawg

dawn

Sorry for the repetitive post could not find in search. How much dawn should I use in 5 gallon water to use to clean my roof.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
{tpc}

I did mine about a week or so ago. I just squirted some in there and filled up the bucket until I thought it was full enough. Probably about 3/4 full of water. It doesn't take much dawn to make for some good soapy action.

My roof was actually pretty clean. To be 100% honest, this is the second time I've washed the roof and I really didn't see much difference in before and after either time.

One would think washing the roof is a pain. Compared to the awning, its a breeze. If you can, when you put away your trailer for the year try and get the awning as clean and dry and possible prior to. It will make your life easier the next year.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I did mine about a week or so ago. I just squirted some in there and filled up the bucket until I thought it was full enough. Probably about 3/4 full of water. It doesn't take much dawn to make for some good soapy action.

My roof was actually pretty clean. To be 100% honest, this is the second time I've washed the roof and I really didn't see much difference in before and after either time.

One would think washing the roof is a pain. Compared to the awning, its a breeze. If you can, when you put away your trailer for the year try and get the awning as clean and dry and possible prior to. It will make your life easier the next year.
dawn blue is the best grease cutter. but if your roof is real dirty you can tell by the color of the run off. If its a chalky like runoff your roof was dirty. I have mine washed at the beach and they used cut down bleach type cleaner. the first time I had it done it was nasty. the last time it was so-so. then they coat it with the Protect-all roof coating. its around 30.00plus or minus a gallon. he put that on with a floor mop type rig. spongy type mop. don't forget to raise your tv antenna. lots of junk gets under there.
had my son on the roof at the beach last week and he said roof looked good except where the AC runs off from our trip to Charleston Sc during the pollen drop.
good luck and be careful
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
therink

I use about 1/2 cup to 4 gals water in pail. If my roof is ridden with mildew, I may also spray on some Clorox cleanup spray ffrom spray bottle and work it in with soapy water to whiten it up. Whatever you use, rinse with plenty of water and wash off sides of trailer when done.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
GaryWT

I used a couple squirts when I did it a few weeks back and added a little more if I added more water. Works pretty good. The back half of my roof gets a lot dirtier than the front because it is parked under trees. I washed the back, let if sit for 10 or so minutes, washed it again and rinsed. Looked pretty good when done. Was not perfect when I was on the ladder but from the back steps it looked like new.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
BirchyBoy

I washed mine this past weekend as well and I expected a bigger difference than I got. I think it would take a lot more scrubbing than I'm willing to do to get it really clean.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:45 AM   #7
tdawg

Got the roof cleaned I did a little comparison. I had some pro tec roof cleaner left I compared it to using dawn and simple green mixed at 15 to 1 ratio. I would say I liked the results with the little bit of roof cleaner I had.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #8
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
dawn blue is the best grease cutter. but if your roof is real dirty you can tell by the color of the run off. If its a chalky like runoff your roof was dirty. I have mine washed at the beach and they used cut down bleach type cleaner. the first time I had it done it was nasty. the last time it was so-so. then they coat it with the Protect-all roof coating. its around 30.00plus or minus a gallon. he put that on with a floor mop type rig. spongy type mop. don't forget to raise your tv antenna. lots of junk gets under there.
had my son on the roof at the beach last week and he said roof looked good except where the AC runs off from our trip to Charleston Sc during the pollen drop.
good luck and be careful
randy
Just wanted to say that I've never seen this "chalky" runoff I hear about when cleaning the roofs. Maybe the bristles on my brush are too soft to clean the roof properly?

I use the same brush on the sides and the car, so I know the bristles aren't stiff...