Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
homer3

Warranties

For those of you who have bought an RV or are thinking of buying a RV, PLEASE give considerable thought to the purchase of warranties. I purchased a warranty with a company of whom their warranty states up to 5 years on a new RV. Well, guess what. I'm in the process of several emails as well as contacting the BBB of the stat where this company resides. Like I said it if considerable thought. Buyer Beware. So far nothing but a waste of my money.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I have purchased a few and passed on most. 25 years or so ago a friend was sales manger at a car dealer. He said those aftermarket warranties have deals with the dealers to sell them. Say they need a min. of 800 for the warranty they tell the dealers to start at 1500 and the dealer pockets the difference or reduce the price so it appears the buyer is really getting a great deal. That's what he said, I never have researched them.
In 2000 we buy a 1998 explorer, wife is really wanting the aftermarket warranty, I stall, the price comes down. We buy it. It covered the failure of the A/C pump OK. Front driveline later failed on a AWD and they would not pay. They said the 4WD box was not checked on the contract. We still had the contract, they were right. The only box's were 4WD or 2WD no AWD on the form and the vehicle was stated to be a AWD on the form with the model ie explorer AWD eddie bauer. I paid the 800 plus bucks and kept up phone calls etc. sent them a copy, about 2 months later, I explained that I have a civil lawyer under contract and will turn it over to him and the State of Oregon to investigate insurance fraud. They replied they were checking further into my case and got a check about 3-4 weeks later. Like most claims they will do what ever they can to not pay out. Yes, buyer beware. Check with your state, we have a State Insurance Division that handles complaints of the companies and since they must be approved thru them to sell insurance in the state, they can loose the right to sell also.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

All 4 of my fivers have been bought new. No extended warranties until my current rig. Only reason was I was retired and couldn't absorb the cost of an appliance failure.

I have seen the provider of my warranty pay out several times when I worked at my last job, so I guess it depends on which provider you get.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

We ended up buying a 6 yr extended warranty when we purchased our Cougar in '08. One of the provisions of the policy was that if there were no claims during the 6 years, a "full" refund of the cost of the policy less a $200 "administrative" fee would be given to the original owner. We did not make any claims and received a cheque for $1700 ($1900-$200) when the policy expired.

I'm not sure if all extended warranties have this kind of provision but it certainly worked for us. Would I buy another one? Mmmmmm have to think seriously about that.