Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
{tpc}

Jacking up trailer

So not to beat a dead horse as this topic appears to have many posts on the subject, I do have a new question. No its not the typical frame vs axle question though now that I think about it, has a little bearing on it, but anyways, here goes.

Do you jack up one wheel at a time per axle, if jacking on the U bolt that connects the axle to the frame? Or do you somehow jack up both axles at the same time?

FWIW, I've read a couple hundred posts on this just prior to making this post so maybe that has helped to confuse me more. I've found very little pictures on someone doing this in any of those posts, and I guess the descriptions aren't doing it for me.

If it helps at all I believe I have dexter axles and the spread axle design.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I mess something up. I've had one hell of a weekend doing a transmission fluid/filter change on the truck, that at one point almost ended up on a flatbed to the dealer. I'd rather this experience go more smoothly...
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

What is it you're trying to accomplish? I'm probably going to check my bearings and brake pads this weekend. I'll be using the TrailerAid and do one wheel at a time.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your using a floor jack and lifting where the springs are attached to the axle, then one axle at a time is the way to go.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
{tpc}

I would be using a floor jack. I have read posts describing jacking up on the u-bolt around the axle. Is the u-bolt usually where the springs attach to the axle? Would you jack right on the u-bolt or one side or the other?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Desert185

I find it hard to use a floor jack on the ubolt, so I use a bottle jack, and do one axle at a time. If doing wetbolts, jack one axle, remove tire, jack stand adjacent frame, lower axle, do the same to the other axle (on the same side of the trailer).

Extend stabilizer jacks, if equipped, before jacking.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I would be using a floor jack. I have read posts describing jacking up on the u-bolt around the axle. Is the u-bolt usually where the springs attach to the axle? Would you jack right on the u-bolt or one side or the other?

Sorry for all the questions.
No need to apologize, not asking might cause you to do something wrong and damage your trailer.

Yes the U bolts are what hold the spring pack to the axle. Depending on how big around the foot of the jack is, you might be able to catch all 4 ends. If not then jack on one U bolt (both ends), doesn't matter which one you choose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
{tpc}

Thank you everyone who replied. Thank you Chuck, that was the information I was looking for.

I tend to get a little overwhelmed at times and ask a lot of questions before I do anything. For the most part that has worked out well for me. There are times however that it hasn't. I just hate rehashing old topics all the time, but sometimes the answers aren't out there (at least for me lol).