Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
mamawildbear

Keystone RV Manual does not mention repacking wheel bearings

On my old Coleman popup, one of our regular maintenance items was to repack the wheel bearings every 5000 miles. It seemed kind of complicated, messy and since wheels are a safety item we never did it ourselves but took it in when to an RV service center to have it done.

I've been compiling my list of maintenance tasks for our new Springdale and there is absolutely nothing in the Keystone RV Owner's Manual about wheel bearings. Do proper trailers not have wheel bearings? Or do they not need packing? Or is it that the coleman was 15 years old and the Keystone is 1 year old? I found a few posts in this forum where people discuss packing bearings but this is one item where I'm at a loss for information.

Can anyone help?
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
wahoonc

Yes they need to be repacked. Check for an axle manual. The main manuals are grossly generic.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
RichR

Manual Packet

Did you get a packet of manuals? Usually there are a number manuals that come along with the main manual. There should be a manual for each main appliance, such as, the furnace, fridge, water heater, converter, etc. as well as the axles, stabilizers, tongue jack, and anything bolted onto the basic unit. Typically there are enough to fill a pocket file folder.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawildbear View Post
On my old Coleman popup, one of our regular maintenance items was to repack the wheel bearings every 5000 miles. It seemed kind of complicated, messy and since wheels are a safety item we never did it ourselves but took it in when to an RV service center to have it done.

I've been compiling my list of maintenance tasks for our new Springdale and there is absolutely nothing in the Keystone RV Owner's Manual about wheel bearings. Do proper trailers not have wheel bearings? Or do they not need packing? Or is it that the coleman was 15 years old and the Keystone is 1 year old? I found a few posts in this forum where people discuss packing bearings but this is one item where I'm at a loss for information.

Can anyone help?
TT wheels do have bearings and they should be repacked once a year or after 12000 miles.
Servicing trailer brakes and bearings are within the scope of most DIYers. The job is fairly simple if you have the proper tools on hand but is messy.

The first step is to find out who the manufacturer is (most likely Dexter) and then go to their website and download their service manual. Or, you can Google "RV trailer brakes" "RV trailer wheel bearings" or similar and find all sorts of sites which will give you enough information on how to service both your brakes and repack the bearings.

While the job is fairly simple, it involves too much to provide you on this forum with a step-by-step process so you'll have to do the leg work yourself.

Being a "newbie" to owning an "adult-sized TT", you might want to get a hold of an RV repair and service manual. I have one that I picked up at CW published by Trailer Life and written by Bob Livingston. It is called "Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual". I have found it useful and is a good companion for Google. It's a bit on the bulky side but the print is large and there are lots of photos.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Here is the Dexter Axle handy "to do list". Item # four recommends following the instructions in your axle maintenance manual. Like other after market items a warranty and operating manual for the installed axles should have been provided with your trailer purchase.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/running_gear_tips

BA
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
hdrolling

Mine states yearly or every 12'000 miles as well, 7000lb axles.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
mamawildbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post

Being a "newbie" to owning an "adult-sized TT", you might want to get a hold of an RV repair and service manual. I have one that I picked up at CW published by Trailer Life and written by Bob Livingston. It is called "Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual".
That appears to be out of print and therefore quite pricey. Even used it's starting at $50.

Do you know anything about Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook? Would that be equivalent?
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the information you need is online if you don't want to spend the money for a printed book.

Go to http://www.rvdoctor.com/2002/02/rv-h...intenance.html and check their guidelines and maintenance "how to's"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote