Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Cheap Light Switches

On our last trip, DW commented that the overhead light switch on the wall was very warm. When we got home, I pulled the switch panel off and the wire and connector going to the light switch was pretty dark from being overheated. I went to the dealer and picked up a new switch, around $3 I think and replaced it. Our Outback is only three years old and that connector could have gotten hot enough to cause a fire.
Pulling that switch panel off for an occasional inspection is a pretty good idea and so is carrying a spare switch and crimp connectors. I think I'm probably going to replace the panel with a Blue Sea switch panel since I can buy all of that stuff at wholesale..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yeap, scary Wonder if the duplex plugs fall into the same class. Seen posts where members claiming some plugs not working others are with no blown breakers. I do remember were a member had power up to a GPI and nothing down stream. Took GFI out and found load side wires had popped out breaking the circuit down stream. There is an active post now which may have this problem.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Loose wiring causing warm outlets.

Like you, I've seen several posts where outlets aren't working, and all breakers/fuses good. Loose wires will cause the warm receptacles you mention, had a couple myself. With the 12V light switches, surprised those would get that warm, especially if you've replaced your lights with LEDs like I have in my RV.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
wahoonc

I have seen some seriously crappy wiring jobs in RV's in the past few years. Enough to scare me into checking every connection that I could get to on my current TT. I only found one that was loose enough to cause me any worry. One problem is that they daisy chain stuff so a switch or fixture near the end of the run may be carrying the full current load of the circuit. Fortunately my TT is on the cheap end of the scale and doesn't have any stand alone switches, except the ones I put in. And I can promise you those are wired and sized properly.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Bob Landry

This wasn't a 115V switch, it was the switch for the 12V overhead lights.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
This wasn't a 115V switch, it was the switch for the 12V overhead lights.
BOB I know, I was just wondering if 120VAC plugs including GFI were of the same quality and possibly causing connection issues
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
BOB I know, I was just wondering if 120VAC plugs including GFI were of the same quality and possibly causing connection issues
I have seen plenty of crappy wiring on those too. My recommendation to anyone would be to check all connections, pull outlets and check them. Pull lights and check the wire nuts, pull the converter cover and check the connections, etc, etc ad nauseum.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Ron

In our Montana, the 12v bedroom light rocker switch was getting hard to turn off and was getting very warm, as I suspected, it overheated and was freezing up, replace it with another one and also shutting off some of the lights so there is not so much amp draw, now have a spare switch on hand, also the light under a cabinet in the kitchen quit working, same thing, all wires and switch were brown color from being over heated, replaced with and LED and all problems solved there. I am now looking for the same LED light I put in the kitchen to replace all in the RV but so far not having any luck finding them again,,,
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote