Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
danimal

My recent experiences resolving electrical issues

Hope this may help someone down the road with my recent foibles. I have not used by camper for a couple months so a few weeks ago I plug in to make sure everything is working correctly. I am leaving for Austin TX next week from here in Florida. After being plugged in for a day I try the landing gear and it groans slowly so I think the battery is dead. I check the battery and I am getting 11v. Thinking the battery is discharged I install a charger and leave it for a day and check it again. Now the battery is charged and landing gear works properly so everything is okay, right? A day later I am by the trailer doing yard work and gave the landing gear a quick check and again, slow groan. Thinking the battery is toast I pull the terminals off and do a voltage check. To my surprise the on board inverter is only putting out 3 volts. So I buy a new inverter off ebay it comes in a couple days and install. Real easy swap. Plug it in and am now getting the correct voltage and hook up the battery terminals and plug the trailer back in. I let it sit a day then try the landing gear again. Once again, groans slowly now I know the battery is done. It lasted almost 4 years so no worries, I get a new battery. Install the new battery landing gear works great. Go into trailer and try the slide out and nothing. WHAT NOW? Then I go over what I know with 12 volt systems and think it has got to be a fuse or a ground. I check the ground wires in the front compartment by the battery and they all look good. I gently tug on all the ground wires and found one wire, probably 12 gauge that pulls right out. I install a new connector on that wire, hook it up and the slide works.

Long winded, yes, trivial, maybe, but my thinking is that if I can figure things out from others posting I thought it important for me to share. You never know that what you might post, even if you think it is menial or unimportant, may help someone down the road as you all have helped me.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Knucklehead

Thanks

Thanks for the insight on this yes even small things to someone could be a large problem to others again thanks for sharing
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for sharing. Issues like that can sometimes be a bear for a person to figure out. Your experience may well save someones day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote