Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Sumadis

New to forum, need peoples opinion

I owe an 2008 Springdale 267BHLGL, I noticed this spring that the aluminum siding was cracking and coming off. It appeared as though whatever material Keystone used to attach the siding to the trailer was eating or "oxidizing" the metal. I took the trailer to the dealership, suspecting that there may have been some water leak on the roof which may have caused the oxidization. The person looking at the trailer verified that the wood behind the siding was dry and that all the roof seals and drip mouldings were good. He also stated that he has never seen anything like this in 14yrs of selling Keystone products. Now, I realize that Keystone has a 1 yr warranty policy, but their policy aslo states that all Keystone producats "shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship." If something takes "X" amount of years to appear and it has been deemed deffective is Keystone not reposible for repairs? I am still waiting to here back from Keystone. Attached are some pitcures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	6812   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	6813   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	6814   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	6815  
Sumadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
KanTC

Sumadis -- I'm sorry that it's *a problem* that brought you here, but glad you joined us!
Is there any indication of the same damage/defect anywhere else on the RV, or only that specific area?
If it were an issue with the adhesive (as an example), I'd think there would be additional areas affected too.

You didn't specify that you're the "original owner", and even if that's the case, it seems very unlikely
that 'any' RV manufacturer would agree that: "shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship",
still applies to a 7 yr old trailer. Obviously, no one here can speak for Keystone [& hopefully they'll
prove me wrong] -but- unfortunately, I don't think the odds are in your favor for them to accept any/all
responsibility for the repair. Please keep us posted on the out-come.......

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Sumadis

Hi Terri,
Thanks for the reply, the damage just appears on the one side of the trailer right above the slide, it starts from the front of the trailer and runs to the back. I am also the original owner of the trailer. I know it may be difficult to get anything back from the manufacturer but as someone with a young family I dont have the $3400 laying around that the dealer quoted me for repairs. I have it patched up right now so that I can still use the trailer but I am more concerned about when I go to sell the trailer.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Sumadis,

Welcome to the forum and, as KanTC said, sorry for your "problem".

Your Springdale is a wood framed, aluminum covered RV. As such, it's not a "sophisticated" structure and if you have the time, a few tools and some basic general carpentry/handyman skills, you should be able to remove the moldings, the damaged skin, inspect the wooden framework and reinstall a new piece of aluminum skin without too much trouble.

$3400 seems about right for a dealer to do the work. Remember that the majority of that cost is labor.

Now, the dilemma you face is whether the investment in a dealer repair is justifiable. Your RV is worth about $10,000. If you add the repair, that would mean you'd need to get about $13,400 out of it if you sold it. I would think that the prices in Canada for used RV's is about the same as in the US, so I think you'd have trouble selling it for that much. If you agree with that, then the repair becomes a preservation issue (keeping the trailer from deteriorating more) rather than an investment issue (increasing or maintaining the value).

As far as the preservation, you really need to do something to protect the wooden framework that is currently exposed to the elements. That would mean either removing the corroded aluminum skin and replacing it or patching it. If you remove it, you can inspect for further damage and repair as needed. Or, as an alternative, you can remove the upper roof molding, install a second piece of aluminum siding over the top, glue/seal it to the existing piece (as a patch) and reinstall the roof molding. That would cover the holes, protect the framework from the elements and provide a "fairly nice looking repair". The problem with only patching it is that you will not be able to fully determine if there is additional damage that can't be seen through the corroded skin holes.

No matter what you do, you're not going to increase the value of your RV by investing a lot of money in it, so weigh your options, look for alternatives, but don't let it sit through the upcoming winter with those holes open to the elements.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Sumadis

Thanks John,
The dealership has given me a few options to use in order to help repair the holes as a quick fix. Right now I have white "hurricane" tape over the holes protecting the wood from the elements, as winter comes I plan on covering the trailer with a large tarp. Hopefully this will help if I cant find the time to look at before the RV season is over.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
RdRmr

Sumadis,

By looking at the irregularity of the edges of the holes I would be tempted to say a bird such as a wood pecker got after it. I've heard of it happening before. Question is, why? All the holes appear to be above the edge of the slide out, gives the bird a place to perch while pecking away. Did you notice any debris/material on the ground below the holes? Good luck with it.
I know I have issues at times with birds pecking/fighting with their reflection in my truck mirrors. They can make a mess. Happy Camping...
Could be just a bad section of aluminum skin that has finally given out but why just over the slide? Just my thoughts.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
trueweb

Welcome!

I'm also new to the forum and I'm new to RVs and I'm struggling with my own issues like this.

Aluminum is generally a very stable material and long lasting. I'm familiar with this from home building. However, aluminum trim has to be attached with aluminum nails and similarly, the new copper treated wood has to be attached with galvanized or stainless steel or it will corrode the nails in a similar fashion.

I searched for "galvanic corrosion on rvs" and people mentioned staples exposed to the back of the aluminum or screws through the internal walls that touch the aluminum. I'm not saying this is is your problem but it might be something to look into.

Sorry I don't have the answer and that I can't help with the warranty issue, but this might be some info that can help you along the way.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote