Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Jager

Better Black & Gray Water Valves?

Well my camper has 2 of those wonderful handles with cables for the black and grey water tanks. I don't know about everyone else but mine push and pull very hard. It really sucks every time I have to empty. Well they push and pull so hard that the grey water handle broke. The plastic part that attaches through the frame wall broke.

To jerry rig this I pulled back the black wax or plastic coated cardboard like stuff that covers the bottom of the camper (I think it is called Corplast). What a MESS under there. I'll refrain from the language I used last night but the idiots at Keystone just left TONs of garbage and crap between the corplast and the floor. All the saw dust from building the camper, strips of butal tape, wrappers, all kinds of construction debris. What a complete lack of care for the construction. Mixed in with all this mess was some kind of fluid. My best guess is that it is hydraulic fluid from when they charged the hydraulic lines for the slides. I am not loosing and fluid so it isn't leaking but what a complete mess. This crap was falling out and all over me while trying to gain access to the bottom on the camper.

So a few questions:
1) I cut a small access hole in the corplast so I could gain access to the black and gray water valves. Does anyone have a suggestion for placing a cover over these holes? I was thinking a small piece of corplast and velcro?

2) The corplast was taped or glued to the steel frame in places. This REALLY held it on and in place. Does anyone know what they are using to glue or attach the corplast to the steel frame? Where do you get it?

3) I hate the cables. They basically work for crap (no pun intended). There has to be a better solution for this. Anyone have any better solutions for this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mess 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	6378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank valve 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	6379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Tank 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Tank 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	6381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Handles.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	6382  

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

So a few questions:
1) I cut a small access hole in the corplast so I could gain access to the black and gray water valves. Does anyone have a suggestion for placing a cover over these holes? I was thinking a small piece of corplast and velcro?

2) The corplast was taped or glued to the steel frame in places. This REALLY held it on and in place. Does anyone know what they are using to glue or attach the corplast to the steel frame? Where do you get it?

3) I hate the cables. They basically work for crap (no pun intended). There has to be a better solution for this. Anyone have any better solutions for this?
Tom-
1) If I were cutting the coroplast, I would cut a square hole but only on 3 sides - leaving a "flap". Don't cut on the front side - use that as the "hinge" for the flap. By doing it this way, you still have a "cover" for the hole which can be held in place by Gorilla tape.

2) On our Cougar, the coroplast is held in place by sheet-metal screws - it isn't taped or glued down to the best of my knowledge.

3) I don't have cables --- I have a threaded 1/4" rod with a pull handle on one end. So far, only one of the three rods has loosened enough and came out of the valve assembly when I pulled on it. On another occasion, the plastic handle came out of the rod. Both were easy fixes. Not sure if the cables can be replaced by rods or whether both systems are "crappy".
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Jager

Festus2
1) Ya, that is what I did. Cut a square on 3 sides and left the "hinge". Still just worried that air will blow in under the belly and cause a major problem going down the road. I'll look into "Gorilla tape". Not sure how strong that is. Plus I can only appy pressure from one side.

2) Ya, most of mine is secured with washers and self taping sheet screws. However the leading edge and about 2' - 3' down the side also had some kind of extremely strong bonding material. My guess is that it was double sided tape of some kind. All I can tell you is it REALLY held the coroplast to the steel frame. In addition to that seal material they also still used the screws and the washers. Again I think the sealing material is just to make absolutely sure there is no air rushing in under the unit causing the coroplast to get ripped off while going down the road. I'd love to know what that sealant is.

3) Never seen a threaded rod type. You can see what the handles look like in the photos I posted. You can see the cables in some of the others. They are like brake cables on a 10 speed.

Thanks for the suggestions.