Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
lifecamper

Did I do OK or get scrrewed?

The Big O tire place just put 4 new Comodore 225/75/R15E tires on my Springdale 5er. Mounted, balanced, filled with Nitrogen here in the park , tax and labor, all included $500. Never heard of these tires but Big O says it's the only ones they will sell as they have had good luck with them. Did I buy a bill of goods? Or, did I get a good deal? Let me hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thanx
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
tileman

I just got 4 new Maxxis 235 80R16 Load E tires total OTD was 900.00

I myself never heard of the Comodore
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I can't say whether or not it is a good deal, if you did "OK" or you were sold a "bill of goods". I did a short Google search of the Commodore tires (not Comodore) and found conflicting statements about who makes them. A couple of sites said that they are Goodyear tires while another said that they are made by Michelin.

One site indicated that they are made in China at the Shandong Changfeng Tyre Company in Shandong Province in China.

I'd suggest doing your own research on this tire and see what you come up with. The price of $500 certainly sounds attractive but I would be concerned with the quality of 4, E-rated tires (plus installation, balancing, nitro) for that low a price.

Perhaps a phone call to Big O with some questions about the origin of the tire might be in order. Just because they are made in China doesn't, by itself, mean that they are necessarily "junk" or that you got taken by purchasing tires made in China.

Like the previous poster, I've never come across Commodore tires before so I have neither any experience nor knowledge about them.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Ohh yeah....commodores

Loved their music back in the early 60's....I think they Came from Detroit.
Did not know after Mo Town they moved into the tire business. Been look'n for some Lionel Ritchie tires but all I found was a Lionel train.

Generally a set of balanced valve stems runs $100 ($97 profit). I'd check these tires to see if they absorb water

OK, only kidding. Know NOTHING about subject tires or any tires for RV's unless I learned it on this forum. And I am 100% confident that 100% of those reporting on tires they bought did so with confidence. I will be looking at every heavy fifth wheel or TT at the Tampa Supershow next week trying to make a decision for our next tire buy.

Best of luck finding info that may make you feel GREAT about your tire buy.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
gearhead

I immediately replaced my new Chinese OEM tires with Maxxis from Thailand. Who knows.
Goodyear Marathons are made in China. Well, some of them. I bought 2 from WalMart, 1 from US, 1 from China.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
cabinfever

Festus is correct about a tires origin. I found this quote from Maxxis...... Answer directly from Maxxis…

Hello John,
I appreciate your comments and will not give you the “canned” response. We don’t do that. Yes, the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial trailer tires are indeed manufactured in our state-of-the-art factory in Thailand (only).

On a side note, while I do understand your position on China produced products, that is certainly not true across the board. Maxxis maintains several plants in China as well as Thailand, Taiwan and Vietnam. A portion of our Auto and Light Truck product offering is produced in China, but not our ST Radial. I can assure you the same high level of quality workmanship and materials is maintained on China produced tires, as that of our other factories. Some Chinese goods, maybe deservingly so, has gotten a bad rap in recent years. However, not all goods produced in China are of inferior quality. Maxxis is a fine example of that.
I hope this is helpful but feel free to email me directly at the address below if you have other questions. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

Never heard of them and they were cheap. I'd say the prognosis is not good but they may surprise us. Keep us informed on performance.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
lifecamper

Well in talking with the manager at Big O here in Pahrump NV. He says that these are the only tires they offer in an ST. They have sold many of them over the years and have had no problems. They are made in China but for $64 I can have full road hazard guarantee. I'll let ya know how they roll and if they last.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for the update on your Commodore tires and we'll be looking for a progress report from you in the future.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #10
WaltBennett

No one mentioned it and you didn't say - What do the DOT mandated manufacture dates say? If they're all less than 6 months old, they should last at least a couple years (even Chinabombs do that!). If they're over a year old, you've been had.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
ColoChuck

Don't know if the Commodore tires are a good deal or not, but here is a link to a site so you can look up where the tires were manufactured. Based on the first 2 characters after the DOT.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
ColoChuck is offline   Reply With Quote