Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Where do you check for levelness?

I have a 35' Keystone Sprinter. I want to install level bubbles on the outside for ease of setting up my trailer, but I need to ensure my trailer is level to start off with.

Now, where do you check to ensure your trailer is level? When the floor is level, the stove top is not. When I level the refrigerator, the counter top/sink is not level.

So confusing!

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Pick the average of them all!

It's "level enough" for the fridge when it no longer feels like a whacky shack.

Get it good enough - or concentrate on the stove if a pot of water is more important than a pen rolling off the kitchen counter and call it good.

You'll probably never find an RV (at any price point) where all appliances/floor/stairs/etc are square with each other.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
SteveC7010

There was a time when the fridge had to be 100% level to operate properly. Not so much these days, but it still needs to close.

Here's what I do: Using a 2' carpenter's level, I site the trailer side-to-side while still hooked up to the truck. One side or the other gets raised with 2x or 1x pieces. I measure the level side-to-side on the vinyl floor in the doorway. (I've checked this against the floor of the freezer compartment several times so I know it's a decent place to measure.)

Since I have a fiver, I check the level across the front and adjust the landing gear as needed with boards. That measurement I take on the floor of the forward storage compartment. Then I drop the trailer and pull the truck away.

I take the front-to-rear measurement on the floor in the doorway and then raise or lower the nose as needed.

In my rig, everything seems to be pretty well matched as far as level goes. The counter top, stove top, floors, and bed all match the freezer floor for level to an acceptable degree.

If your freezer floor is that much different from other measure points in the trailer, you might want to consider making some adjustments. If the floor, stove, and counter all are the same, maybe the fridge needs to be adjusted.

Once you are happy with the level of everything, then install the outside bubbles.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
cathcartww

You may not want it to be dead level. As said above, decide what is most important for you have level. On our last trailer, the bed was oriented fore and aft, and we liked the head of the bed a little higher than level, so we set the trailer a bit nose high. Both the tub and the kitchen sink drained better if the port side was a little below level.

On our current trailer, the bed is crosswise, and the kitchen sink is on the starboard side, so we like it the starboard side a little low. For and aft we set it so the air conditioner condesation drains toward the rear away from the storage access doors near the front.

Just things to consider ....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Laredo291OH

Hey Lee,

Since you have a travel trailer you may want to look at this http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Hopkins/HM09715.html I have had them on my last 2 campers and love it. It's adjustable so at the beginning of camping season every year I level the camper with a carpenters level to make sure it's right. The best part is it will tell you how much you need to shim the low side.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I just put levels on my trailer 2 days ago. I thought about floor etc. and than went to the hitch area frame rails and placed a small level on it. Tried front/back and side to side. Than placed a 2ft level on rear bumper and found it was same as frame rail at front. I leveled the side to side with a jack placed near the wheels. Than leveled the front to back with the tongue jack. I can't say that was the best or correct way but it seened to work. I was worried that floors or counters etc. could be off more than the frame. Let everyone know how you get it done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
Mighty Ming

I went by the level inside my fridge first then checked the floor n counters with a torpedo level then a 6 ft level on rear bumper and small levels on tongue plus my Barker tongue has a level. Then i attached some simple glue on levels on the tongue and screwed one to the front and rear of TT. Remember you want water to drain off the roof so a lil canted is ok. Close is good. No problems here with fridge or roof drainage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
SteveC7010

A number of you are using the rear bumper for a level check. That's fine if your bumper is permanently welded to the frame. Those of us that have the slide-out bumper/bike/gear racks should remember that it is a very poor place to check for level.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
raytronx

I can usually tell good level by the doors. Shower, bathroom, fridge, cabinets, etc. If they are not wanting to swing open or shut to fast level is usually pretty good. Also a square jug of water on the kitchen countertop is a good gauge.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote