Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
DennisT

12V waterpump, winterization bypass kit: can I make my own?

I'm begining my first ever winterizing for my 2009 Keystone Springdale 266RL.
I've drained the hot water tank, have the tank's one bypass valve turned 90 degrees from normal, gray and black tanks flushed and drained as well as fresh water tank drained.

My 12V pump located under a step-over-understorage by the bed has no, "kit," to allow me to place a hose into a gallon jug of antifreeze and use the pump to pump through TT's system without using the fresh water tank.

I'm nearly 100 miles from any RV dealer who would sell the kits to create the hose and connections to do this. Can I build my own from hardware store parts? If so, ..... how? I know the principle but not the connections. I understand if a valve is installed somewhere in the right place, the additional plumbing can remain in the pump compartment permanently.

Directions/tips? Thanks, Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
AlCorr

I made one, it's easy. Took the in side fitting off the pump. Disconnected the hose from it, it had a water hose clamp holding it on. Went to Home Depot and picked up 2-3 feet of the same size hose, used the same water hose clamp to connect it to the fitting, put the fitting back on the pump, put the other end in the gallon jug of antifreeze, turned on the water pump and winterized.
When done, removed my 2-3 ft. hose and reconnected the the trailer hose.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
cathcartww

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
I made one, it's easy. Took the in side fitting off the pump. Disconnected the hose from it, it had a water hose clamp holding it on. Went to Home Depot and picked up 2-3 feet of the same size hose, used the same water hose clamp to connect it to the fitting, put the fitting back on the pump, put the other end in the gallon jug of antifreeze, turned on the water pump and winterized.
When done, removed my 2-3 ft. hose and reconnected the the trailer hose.
Our pump is way in the back corner wedged into a tight compartment and there is no room to install a kit. We did the same thing as AlCorr this year. Since then, we purchase a spare elbow fitting which we will permanent attach to the piece of hose so we don't have to mess with the hose clamp each time.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/shur...b-elbow-swivel

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Javi

Sure you can if you think it’s necessary… Most of today’s pumps have some sort of quick connect fitting like the one in the above post. My pump is a Flojet and has a different style but the principle is the same.. If you don’t have a QC fitting it is a simple matter of cutting the inlet line and putting a cutoff valve in line accompanied with a Tee and another cutoff valve for the new pickup line which will go into the jug… You should be able to fine the necessary fitting at any plumbing supply store and most home improvement stores…
For me it was easier to just order an extra fitting for my pump and attach a length of hose.. I just leave it in the hidey hole where the pump is located…
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
DennisT

pump

Thank you. I'll do that or just buy the kit. Time caught up to me today and we live too far to go for parts, so I just winterized by adding 3 gallons to the fresh water tank after blowing out lines. Now I have a tight system and can draw pink from every valve.

Kit/parts for pump will be installed in the Spring.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
golfpro

either order a by pass from CW or make one up. once you make it leave it in. while waiting for the CW to ship, simply blow out the lines with an air compressor
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
Thank you. I'll do that or just buy the kit. Time caught up to me today and we live too far to go for parts, so I just winterized by adding 3 gallons to the fresh water tank after blowing out lines. Now I have a tight system and can draw pink from every valve.

Kit/parts for pump will be installed in the Spring.

Dennis
You can save yourself a trip to the RV store by purchasing a CAMCO kit off Ebay from one of the more reliable sellers there, usually for less money than ordering from CW. This is just one example as there are dozens available from different sellers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RV-Valte...-/110960483770

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
AlCorr

I have one of those kits, took it of my 5th wheeler before I sold it. But it wont work on this Bullet. It has one of those quick connect fitting on the pump. Went to the RV store to buy one and was told that quick connect fittings only came with the pumps and I can't buy one unless I wanted a new pump. Anyone know were to buy one on line?
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
I have one of those kits, took it of my 5th wheeler before I sold it. But it wont work on this Bullet. It has one of those quick connect fitting on the pump. Went to the RV store to buy one and was told that quick connect fittings only came with the pumps and I can't buy one unless I wanted a new pump. Anyone know were to buy one on line?
I did a google search on both flojet and shurflo quick connect fittings and got hundreds of hits, many of them were online stores carrying RV and marine parts.

Why not give that a try?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
SteveC7010

If you're inclined, you can do what I did facing the same opportunity. I took the brass valve from the winterizing kit and went down to the local hardware store. They set me up with two hose barb adapters that fit the pipe threads on the valve. I also picked up two small stainless worm clamps.

Back at the trailer I cut the hose going to the pump about 8" before the pump. Then I installed the two hose barb adapters on each end of the valve with some teflon plumbing tape. Fit the barbs into the cut ends of the hose, tighten up the clamps. Voila! It looks factory original. (Sorry, no pic - trailer is in storage 'til spring time.)

Brass hose barbs look like this:

Or this:

Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
allis15

Here is a link to the pump winterizarion valve a CW:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rizer-kit/6279

Gary
allis15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
robo

i have removed the clam in the barb end coming from tank put a hose on it and use a hose clamp to tighten then replace the hose to tank when done
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
NWest

I have the same pump and found the fittings at pumpagents.com They come 2 per bag. Camping World told me that they could not order them either. The snap connect makes it actually very easy.
NWest is offline   Reply With Quote