Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Paralleling Generators

Just wondering what experience anyone's had paralleling different brand inverter generators? I know it's been done, but I haven't heard much about how it worked out over time?

John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Just wondering what experience anyone's had paralleling different brand inverter generators? I know it's been done, but I haven't heard much about how it worked out over time?

John
My understanding it can't, or shouldn't, be done. No way would I try that on my Honda generator. You can't even connect the two slightly different different Honda 3000 units.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #3
xrated

Paralleling generators of different brands is a disaster waiting to happen. You will let all of the smoke out.....likely on both of them.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I have no doubt (based on things I've seen in campgrounds) that someone, somewhere has "successfully paired" their Champion generator with a WEN generator and not "blown up the pair"... That said, read any owner's manual and there is a "specific set of instructions that detail exactly how the manufacturer designed their generators to be paired using specific equipment to connect them".... THAT'S THE WAY THE MANUFACTURER BUILT THEIR SYSTEM.... Deviating from that procedure and/or using different equipment to "pair different brand inverter generators" is at best, a "hit and miss event" that could end in disaster. From the risks of electrocution to burning down the trailer" I wouldn't want to even attempt such a test with my equipment, nor would I want to use it in a remote area where there's no "immediate response from emergency response teams (like fire and EMS).....

So, with that thought, unless you're an electrical engineer with lots of experience in control systems design, I wouldn't attempt it... This is not a "shade tree mod".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Paralleling Generators

As an electrical engineer, I can tell you that this is a very risky endeavor and probably doomed to failure. First of all: small non-inverter generators cannot be paralleled at all without disastrous results and Inverter generators can be paralleled only under certain conditions. The two inverters must be able to synchronize both the phase of the AC waveform and the voltage produced. If the generators are of different capacities the load will not share evenly between the two units and it is likely that the smaller unit will be damaged. That means that even generators of the same brand will not play well together unless they are the same model and interconnected according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I saw bigfoot on the internet to! Seems like a potential disaster that could ruin 2 expensive pieces of equipment. If you're willing to gamble on the loss of your investment then I'd suggest calling your local VFD first. They may offer to let you set up your "experiment" on their training grounds so they can practice extinguishing a fire with electricity and gasoline involved.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Personally, I'd never attempt to pair 2 different types of generators. Too much at risk and too much money invested in the camper, AND the generators if they end up fried.

I have a generator that we use to power things when we have power outages at home. However, it will not power both air conditioners in the camper at the same time. Thinking of boom-docking, after 2 years, decided to just do it right. Yes, it cost. But these two can travel with us, and the original can stay home.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
fjr vfr

I saw a bunch of YouTube video's where people paralleled different brand inverter generators of the same size. It seemed to work for them? I think it can work. But after hearing the above comments I won't gamble with my generator and another brand. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the input.
John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I saw a bunch of YouTube video's where people paralleled different brand inverter generators of the same size. It seemed to work for them? I think it can work. But after hearing the above comments I won't gamble with my generator and another brand. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the input.
John
You have just made a second good decision. The first good decision was to ask. IMO, You Tube can be very informative, but not everything is true or do you see the real effects after the camera was turned off. Yeah, I remember seeing that “authentic” Bigfoot footage too... then he came knocking on my door on the 31st last October demanding candy. The nerve of some harry, deep woods things!

Tags
generator