Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
homerepair24

Key tv issues

I have a brand new cameo fifth wheel, when first bought the keytv booster worked fine, within one week it stopped working. Because of issues getting a warranty appointment i ordered a new one at my cost. I installed the new unit and everything worked fine for 1 day and then the unit died again. The only issue that i can find is the the voltage is between 13 and 14 volts. Anyone have any ideas or have had the same issue?
homerepair24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
ChuckS

I’d be calling Keystone and asking what they will do... there are a number of fa8lures of the KeyTV module ... if you were to open it up...and I wouldn’t you will most likely find a smoked voltage regulator on the PCB

The 12 volts you are measuring to the KeyTV module is well within its “supposed” designed operating voltage and the nominal voltage most any RV unit would exhibit from the converter

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
homerepair24

So I did open up the first one to see if there was some kind of fuse and there is not. its really simple with no evidence of any failure.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
ChuckS

One question...when you state it quit working... Quit working in what mode?

Does the OTA work?
Does cable feed work?

If OTA isn’t working but cable feed is let me know and I can walk you thru some quick checks with a multi meter

Old 09-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
homerepair24

There is power to the unit. However the power lite is not lit.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
ChuckS

most likely voltage regulator is toast inside the unit... not everything on the board requires 12vdc and a regulator is used to set voltage at most likely 5vdc for some components inside

Old 09-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
ChuckS

a very quick check using a multi meter is to remove the OTA antenna connection directly at keytv module and with multi meter set to DC volts red lead to center of coax connection on the KeyTv MODULE and black lead to threaded section of coax connection...

Cable park coax must be removed from KeyTV module.,. if you dont measure over 12vdc on the OTA connection of keytv module its dead

Old 09-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
rjsurfer

I have been having problems with the Key TV system for over a year and a half now. Sometimes the OTA doesn't work sometimes it's the park cable.

There is always 12v at the cable connector and there is no rhyme or reason.

We move on to the next campground and low and behold it all works fine.

What always works is my 15' extension pole attached to the ladder with a decent OTA external antenna plugged directly into the back of the TV. Works 100 % of the time, screw the Key TV.

I have given up on the Key TV system.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
LHaven

Two in a row, and a 24 hour MTBF. Geez.

I've read so many threads about people having problems with their KeyTV, I'm super glad my rig didn't come with it. Not even the inCommand system seems to have so many unhappy users. There, the issue seems more to be "it's too complicated for me," "I don't like having to use it to do xyz instead of doing it the old way by hand," or "if it ever does break, how do I do xyz by hand?" Conversely, the complaints I see about the KeyTV all uniformly seem to be, "It's dead, Jim!"

I'd be curious to know what percentage of KeyTV users never had a problem with their unit.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #10
homerepair24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
One question...when you state it quit working... Quit working in what mode?

Does the OTA work?
Does cable feed work?

If OTA isn’t working but cable feed is let me know and I can walk you thru some quick checks with a multi meter
I have zero over the air signal, cable feed worked at the last park, the power light is not on, on the unit. with 2 units dead now im thinking there is something causing this issue?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
BeagleMan

Got a question....as if I never have had one....

If I am to buy a Montana in the future, could I in essence, have them remove the Key TV system upon delivery? If so, what are my options then?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I think it's all going to depend on what you intend to use the cabling in the RV for; cable TV, internet, satellite etc. I'm a simple guy and only need internet to get to Netflix or Prime so not a lot of sophistication required in the setup. I don't know if they will have time to get it done before we leave for FL but I've told the dealership to remove the KeyTV /diplexers and we are just going to use each cable as a home run shot from the convenience center to the LR, BR and basement.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think it's all going to depend on what you intend to use the cabling in the RV for; cable TV, internet, satellite etc. I'm a simple guy and only need internet to get to Netflix or Prime so not a lot of sophistication required in the setup. I don't know if they will have time to get it done before we leave for FL but I've told the dealership to remove the KeyTV /diplexers and we are just going to use each cable as a home run shot from the convenience center to the LR, BR and basement.
Mostly for wherever we end up camp site's cable. Or we are thinking since we have a Direct TV account now, suspended until we get the house, that we could possibly tri-pod Direct TV out and use that. I would love to have internet strong enough for Netflix and Prime. Thats 90% of our viewing habits and interrupted by this change of venue. How in the world do you get internet strong enough to sustain those streaming channels?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Mostly for wherever we end up camp site's cable. Or we are thinking since we have a Direct TV account now, suspended until we get the house, that we could possibly tri-pod Direct TV out and use that. I would love to have internet strong enough for Netflix and Prime. Thats 90% of our viewing habits and interrupted by this change of venue. How in the world do you get internet strong enough to sustain those streaming channels?
At home I'm on Grande but ATT Spectrum has good cable internet.
Maybe AT&T hotspot?
I've been trying to figure out how to get it when we're in @#%$@ Egypt
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

For us, unless traveling from A to B and in between somewhere we like to stay at least a month. When we do that I research who provides local internet and have them install broadband to the RV....if possible. Sometimes they can't. In that case we are stuck with whatever wifi is in the park. I was going to get a Verizon JetPack but then they told me all the old "unthrottled" unlimited data packages were done away with so now I've got to come up with a different strategy - which I had forgotten to do so thanks to both of you for the jog!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote