Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #1
Marvin

Broken spring assemblies in Roll Up Blinds

Two of the roll up blinds in my 2019 Raptor 354 have broken spring assemblies such that the blinds are in the full down position and will not roll up. See attached photo to see the broken plastic shaft. Who is the manufacturer of these roll up blinds? So far, I have sent the picture to Irvine Shade, Ascot, MCD, and United Shade. All four have replied with "it's not ours".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Shade Spring 20200727.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	29329  
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
Javi

If I had to guess.. Lippert
Old 08-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You should have a build sheet, and it might tell you what brand. You can always get a copy of the build sheet from Keystone using the VIN.

I know the build sheets have appliances and awnings. It might have shades.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
LewisB

I checked our build sheet per Chuck's suggestion and there was no information on the blinds - they aren't listed on the sheet.

I don't know about repair parts, but I suspect replacement blinds may be available. When we purchased our new 2018 Raptor in 2019, one of the blinds was defective. The dealer had one shipped direct to us. I still have the shipping tube and I just looked to see if there was any useful label information on the tube - sorry, no luck. It had UPS and dealer info plus us, so no help.

You might query your dealer and see if he has any sources. You might also check this out for supplier into: https://youtu.be/CifKSPJLf-Q

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
Marvin

LewisB, thanks for posting. It was my Keystone dealer that suggested United Shades, United says it's not theirs. Also tried Irvine Shade mentioned in the Youtube video. Do your blinds have any label on them? I see "DNBG" on mine, but don't know what that means.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
LewisB, thanks for posting. It was my Keystone dealer that suggested United Shades, United says it's not theirs. Also tried Irvine Shade mentioned in the Youtube video. Do your blinds have any label on them? I see "DNBG" on mine, but don't know what that means.
I had one shade that I needed to work on so I actually took it down this morning. In the process I did look for any identifying marks or labels and there was not a thing on mine. If you do find some thing, please post back in this thread because ultimately probably everyone with a Raptor will need that information!

Thanks and good luck with your search.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
http://mcdinnovations.com/files/Ownersmanual031318.pdf

See if this works
Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
travelin texans

I'd give Irvine Shades a call, all you'd waste is a call. Mine were theirs, they had a small American flag sticker on the very bottom with their name on it & they were very helpful with parts & information.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd give Irvine Shades a call, all you'd waste is a call. Mine were theirs, they had a small American flag sticker on the very bottom with their name on it & they were very helpful with parts & information.
http://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/su...acement-parts/

Here is their parts breakdown
Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
Marvin

Thanks for your help guys. The spring assemblies from Irvine Shades are similar but have a significant difference and therefore do not work to replace mine. See photos. By the way, the customer service at Irvine Shades was excellent.

I have sent requests to Lippert and Keystone per your suggestions. I am waiting for their replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll-Up-Spring_1_20200821.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	29362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll-Up-Spring_2_20200821.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	29363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll-Up-Spring_3_20200821.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	29364  
Old 08-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
LewisB

Marvin,
My dealer asked for a picture of what we are looking for, so I forwarded your photo to him. (I'm not sure why, but he seems to be sort of "secretive" about this source. He says they will not direct sell to a retail customer. I've asked him for something like a parts list or catalog that could be used by others...we'll see what he comes up with).

If he can get these, I'll send you his information. Having had a couple of problems with the blinds in our 2018, I'd be tempted to purchase a spare set of these rollers if they are not prohibitive in cost.

Thanks,

Old 08-24-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
LewisB

Sorry for the multiple posts. My dealer says he would be happy to help you. He has seen your pictures and says repair parts for the roller assembly are not available. You would need to replace the entire shade. To replace your shade, he would need the size and color.

We have found this dealer to be absolutely EXCELLENT with both sales & service. He is 120 miles from the house - we drove past multiple local dealers because we really liked him - I'm glad we did and would do it again.

Rowley White RV
2825 W McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85009
602-743-8222

Ask for Danny:
[email protected]

Hope that helps.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
Marvin

I just received a reply from Lippert Components customer service. They said "Lippert does not make or supply blinds."
Old 08-28-2020, 05:12 AM   #14
Marvin

I just received an email reply from [email protected] which says :
"....we do not have a breakdown of vender parts that was installed in your RV. In order to have this issue addressed please contact a Keystone Authorized Dealer to schedule an appointment so that they may submit a pre-authorization with their findings. Once the pre-authorization is submitted Keystone will then review the request for participation...."
so, I will add this to the list of 21 other warranty items that my local dealer has been asked to handle.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
"....we do not have a breakdown of vender parts that was installed in your RV. In order to have this issue addressed please contact a Keystone Authorized Dealer to schedule an appointment so that they may submit a pre-authorization with their findings. Once the pre-authorization is submitted Keystone will then review the request for participation...."
so, I will add this to the list of 21 other warranty items that my local dealer has been asked to handle.
Personally... I'd just measure the blind and order one from MCD and be done with it..
Old 08-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Personally... I'd just measure the blind and order one from MCD and be done with it..
Additionally, the "Keystone 1 year warranty" covers components and "after expiration, any further warranty on components is the responsibility of the owner/dealer to manage. So, if the trailer is "older than 12 months" then Keystone won't even process the warranty for a broken blind spring. It's strictly between the owner/dealer and the blind manufacturer. Keystone is "out of the picture after 12 months".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
JerJan10

I had the same broken shaft on 2 patio blinds instead of RV shades. But the broken plastic piece on your shade is exactly like the one on mine.
The brand is Coolaroo and I emailed them about the issue and received the following response
"Thank you for your inquiry at www.CoolarooUSA.com and your interest in Coolaroo® Sun Shades and products. Please return product to the original Coolaroo retailer from which it was purchased. Unfortunately Spring loaded shades are not serviceable and we do not carry parts for them."

So your blind might be from Coolaroo but as one of the posters said you very likely will have to just get a new blind.
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #18
Marvin

I finally have resolution for my broken Roll up Shade spring assemblies.
The manufacturer is Way Interglobal Network. I had never heard of them, but my local Keystone authorized dealer was able to order replacements, well, kinda. The 50x50" was ordered and replaced, no problem. But the 38x50" is no longer available to be ordered. My local dealer ordered the 38x50" twice and received the wrong part both times. For the second order they received another 50x50" instead of the 38x50". So, I removed the new spring assembly from the last 50x50" and swapped it into my broken 38x50" unit. Problem solved.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
LewisB

Wow - nice job on the follow-up. This is one of those little items that one stows away for future use. Great example of the value of the forum to all us members. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #20
ChuckS

I’d also recommend when traveling roll the blinds fully up... this outs less stress on the internal mechanism...especially the plastic brake stop

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote