Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #21
thefulminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Couldn't agree more. I would add that of all the thousands of people that have a 751 key not ONE of them (or their family) would steal? That's naive. How well do you know the people that have a camper in your storage lot? Hell, most people don't know the people that live a couple of hundred feet from their front door.

So here's my point. Let's say you are in the storage lot winterizing you're camper. A guy pulls up and starts unloading the storage compartment into his truck. He has a key, he smiles, he says hello and makes a statement like "it's that time of the year, time to unload and put things away for another winter!". Chances are, you think he belongs and you go about your business. I'm thinking if he's got a crowbar it would go differently.

ckittila .. regarding your post, why buy locks with different keys? I rekeyed all my locks with the same key. That way I only need one key. As for spares, well now I have plenty of those! I replaced 4 locksets to match the front door. Each replacement lock set, as well as the original, came with 2 keys each for a total of 10 keys. I have a key on the key ring for the camper, one on the keyring for each truck, and one in the center console of each truck

It's a personal choice thing but for my meager money it's justified. YMMV

This goes for propane tanks and spare tires too. I cable lock both to my trailer. Many years ago my dad found his trailer which was in storage with the spare tire cover removed and on the ground. Apparently someone was going to grab his spare but didn't like it once the cover off. I believe that the crook is going to take the easiest route which isn't going to be my trailer.

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefulminator View Post
This goes for propane tanks and spare tires too. I cable lock both to my trailer.
Here's a humorous sidenote…

Recently, in one of the regular email solicitations I get from RV accessories outlets, there was a special on a propane tray lock to replace the usual giant wingnut between the tanks. It was an unwieldy bright red gizmo with lots of impressive protruding flanges and a keyhole, and cost over $80.

I asked them whether the kit included a piece to lock the nut at the bottom of the rod, and they replied, "the threaded rod cannot be removed without specific tools which prevent an opportunity theft."

Whoop-de-do, a pair of pliers. I wonder if NASA would let just anybody borrow theirs.
LHaven is online now   Reply With Quote