Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
flybouy
Site Team

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

With the overwhelming prevalence of the virus currently dominating the news, has it changed/altered your camping plans for the upcoming season?

Thinking back after the events of 911 and how crowded campgrounds were. The sales of RV's escalated as some folks decided not fly for vacation and opted to drive.

Anyone have their "crystal balls" tuned up?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

It’s not Ebola, and the Flu is far more deadly. This time of year (winter in the Northern Hemisphere) more people are in confined indoor spaces where something as benign as the common cold passes from person to person easily. Take reasonable precautions and this will pass, especially as warmer weather and outdoor activities take hold.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Put into a "realistic perspective", I look at it this way:

1. There are 66 reported cases of confirmed Covid-19 in the US.
2. There were 3000 people in a "petri dish" (on a confined cruise ship) with limited numbers showing signs of disease progress. (certainly everyone on that cruise ship was exposed, even as they stayed in their own cabin) so apparently progress through exposure is not a serious problem.
3. There were 250 people on a charter 747 with 25 "confirmed exposures". If you've ever been on any pressurized airplane, when one person farts, everyone breathes it until landing/depressurization, so all 250 were "exposed with no more confirmed cases".
4. When you consider that there are more "attributable deaths" to common influenza in any one of the 50 states than there are nationwide for all of Covid-19, while there is a "risk", that risk is so small that it's more likely that you'll die in a traffic collision while towing your RV to the campground than there is that you'll be exposed to/develop/die from Covid-19.

What concerns me is the number of homeless that are congregated in areas where there is NO healthcare, NO human waste removal, EXTREME potential for communicable disease spread through an unhealthy population. If Covid-19 gets a foothold in LA or San Francisco's homeless population, it will be "rampant" but in most "normal population centers" with healthcare access and conventional cleanliness standards, there's limited to almost no risk.

For any "healthy adult" with an intact immune system, common hand washing, staying away from "sick people" (don't go relax in a hospital waiting room) and eating healthy, getting enough rest and getting your flu shot (doesn't prevent Covid-19 but does help keep you healthy so your immune system can ward off Covid-19 rather than fight a case of flu), there's not a significant increased risk.

So, no, there's no change in plans, but we will avoid "crowded places where we might logically be exposed"....

One "pet peeve" of mine is people who block the WalMart entrance "wiping the handle on their shopping cart" then pick up every can, bottle and piece of fruit as they "spread their own germs throughout the store while picking up much more than what was on the cart handle.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

WAS YOUR HANDS OFTEN.
I made this meme the other day to celebrate.Click image for larger version

Name:	ZomboMeme%2027022020080451.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	25343

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
WAS YOUR HANDS OFTEN.
I made this meme the other day to celebrate.Attachment 25343
It's insane to think of the idiots that won't get their children vaccinated. I'm old enough to remember the Polio vaccine release, getting measles, the mumps, etc. So many diseases have been eradicated by a simple injection.

DW and I have been talking about the pandemic. It should be renamed the "panicdemic" in my opinion. It's sad to see the panicked masses buying dust masks or paint masks thinking it's going to stop the germs. People never learn that the news agencies sell sensationalism and those that can profit from the ignorance will. . We witnessed it with Y2K, Eboli, Sars, etc. Post 911 and the Ricin scare spurred the same sort of panic with fools buying plastic wrap and duct tape to cover their windows.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If it makes for empty campgrounds, I'll enjoy the quiet and solitude !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antivirus.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25344  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If it makes for empty campgrounds, I'll enjoy the quiet and solitude !!!
I fear the opposite effect.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Frank G

The other side of the Virus issue is the complex supply chain of products originating from China. As I was reading through the posts the DW was reading me a statement from a large apparel supplier in the US. The statement was warning of impending shortages in the entire industry, world wide, as China supplies most or all of the thread, needles, buttons and zippers. So, no matter where the garments are produced there are shortages of required components.

Lets hope they get a handle on this quickly. With foreign travel, domestic air travel and cruse ship vacations down I would think RV travel would boom.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
The other side of the Virus issue is the complex supply chain of products originating from China. As I was reading through the posts the DW was reading me a statement from a large apparel supplier in the US. The statement was warning of impending shortages in the entire industry, world wide, as China supplies most or all of the thread, needles, buttons and zippers. So, no matter where the garments are produced there are shortages of required components.

Lets hope they get a handle on this quickly. With foreign travel, domestic air travel and cruse ship vacations down I would think RV travel would boom.
This is the kind of thing that adds to the “panic”. YKK is the largest zipper manufacturer in the world and it is a Japanese company, not Chinese. The virus can’t live outside a body for any length of time so the virus coming here on clothing from China is a load of bull. It is all unwarranted panic. You are more likely to die from the flu.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The shortages will not be due to raw meterials. They will be due to shortages of people to do the manufacturing.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
This is the kind of thing that adds to the “panic”. YKK is the largest zipper manufacturer in the world and it is a Japanese company, not Chinese. The virus can’t live outside a body for any length of time so the virus coming here on clothing from China is a load of bull. It is all unwarranted panic. You are more likely to die from the flu.
I NEVER inferred that the virus was transmitted on clothing or anything else. There are many factories in China that are closed and this is affecting supply chain's world wide. Textile manufactures and garment manufactures world wide depend on basic items like thread, needles, buttons, clasps, zippers to produce the shirt on your back. Most of these supplies are produced in China and their production has stopped. How long we don't know. If you are looking for panic, look no further than the stock market. If your looking for bull, check your local pasture.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #12
notanlines

First, a pox on the anti-vaxxers! Second, "One "pet peeve" of mine is people who block the WalMart entrance "wiping the handle on their shopping cart" then pick up every can, bottle and piece of fruit as they "spread their own germs throughout the store while picking up much more than what was on the cart handle..... "I thought maybe I was the only one who thought this way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Keystoned

Not sure it is less deadly than the flu. I think it is nearing a 5% mortality rate, maybe 10x that of the flu? Someone check these numbers please...
Old 02-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Not sure it is less deadly than the flu. I think it is nearing a 5% mortality rate, maybe 10x that of the flu? Someone check these numbers please...
I haven't checked the numbers but TODATE the "flu" has infected far more people and therefore killed far more people than this virus has.

Our oldest daughter (in her late 30's) was hospitalized last night for Influenza A and pneumonia. Her husband, one of their two boys, her FIL and MIL, are recovering from the flu. Her MIL was in the hospital last week due to the flu.

And yes, every one of them had the flu shot, are very clean, well educated, people. Our daughter's flu went into pneumonia (probably from taking care of here family and not herself) while the rest of her family.

So the point I'm trying to make is it's flu season. There are outbreaks in some areas that are worse than others. Travel facilitates the spread of viruses. Our daughter & her family live in the countryside outside a small town in SE PA. Her in-laws live some 40 miles away in Springfield PA a suburb of Philadelphia. They were at her in-laws visiting just before they all became ill so who infected who? Doesn't matter, none of them were exhibiting symptoms at that time, all had their flu shots. I'm sure the other set of grandparents were hugging on the grandsons at the time so it's reasonable to conclude that someone there was carrying the virus.

So to get back to the original question none of this will alter our plans. Reasonable precautions, not panicking, and time should resolve the Corona as it does the "flu". I'm just curious how many people will think "we're not going to vacation this year so we'll go camping.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Keystoned

About 100 years ago the flu wiped out a lot humans. This one has the same potential, but I hope not.
We always go camping and fishing so no changes planned here. I think flying is on hold though.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The flu is way more deadly. Partly because people ignore it. The flu shot is not 100%, but it is better than not getting it at all.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 02-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the data from CDC:

In the 2017/2018 flu season (Sep 2017-Mar 2018) there were 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.

In the 2018/2019 flu season (Sep 2018-Mar 2019) there were 42.9 million people got sick, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.

So far this flu season (Sep 2019 to present) 6.4 million people have caught the flu, 55,000 people have been hospitalized and 2,900 people have died — 800 more people then were estimated the week before.

So far, in the US, Covid-19 has infected 15 people. 12 had traveled to China and 3 had not. Only 1 of those had no "known" exposure". ONE person has died of complications associated with Covid-19.

When compared to the "common flu" (H1N1 and H3N1) I HONESTLY don't see the crisis..... Yes, there is a "new potential virus" making its rounds, but it's FAR LESS A THREAT then what we've lived with for the past 15 years.

Regular handwashing, reduce exposure to "known infections" or "places where an infected person might reasonably be found" (hospitals, Urgent Care clinics, doctor's offices) and stay away from "pediatric incubation units" (infants, toddlers and elementary school children who seem to always have a snotty nose and share it with all the other kids in the area)…..

Covid-19 isn't the "PANIC DISEASE" that it's being publicized to be..... Just don't be reckless with your exposure and you'll likely never be exposed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #18
notanlines

Keystoned, we'd be curious as to where those numbers came from. Thanks...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #19
gearhead

To be honest I'm beginning to wonder about sitting in the stands with a bunch of NASCAR fans in Richmond VA. in a few weeks.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #20
vampress_me

Of course, there’s always the complement to coronavirus....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DE172B0-BF81-4D21-986E-5C47C081F3E4.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	25357  
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote