Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Soundchaser

Problem changing oil - Onan gas 5500 generator

Hi all,

Need a bit of help. I have a 2012 Fuzion with a onan 5500 generator. I purchased the unit used from a private party so this is my first oil change. So, I drained the oil (yes, started it up first and removed the filler cap) and then replaced the filter. When I went to refill I got to about 1.5 quarts and it started to overflow. I stopped, put the cap on and ran it thinking that after the oil filter filled up I would be good to add the next .5 quarts. Well, it did not go down. In fact, after running, when I removed the oil filler cap it would overflow. Then, when I started the generator it would shut down after 10-15 seconds and throw code 37. Code 37 is a frequency code and it tells you to basically take it into the shop.

So, since it ran fine before the oil change I started to remove oil. When I finally got it down to the correct fill amount all problems went away and it ran fine. I went down to my dealer to understand what I had done wrong. They asked how level the trailer was when I changed the oil as the pan is very flat. Where I changed the oil has a slight side to side angle so I thought maybe that was it. If it was, then I would have left a half quart or so of dirty oil in. Also, since I am a new owner I would likely have different oil types so I decided to just change it all out again.

This time I made sure I was perfectly level. When I went to fill it once again at 1.5 quarts it was full. I ran it several times, let it sit for an hour or more after each time, and was able to maybe add a few more tablespoons. That said, it is not shutting down or throwing codes this time, but I am a half quart short. The only thing I can think to do differently would be to fill the oil filter next time, but after running it that should no longer be a problem.

And yes, I filled it very slow. Probably spent 3+ hours.

What am I doing wrong? And I am using the stock filter.

Thanks in advance!

Rod
Soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your not doing anything wrong. If the dipstick shows the level to be in the safe zone (cross hatches) And you have no codes, run it. It will shut down if the oil is too low.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a "long history" of problems filling the Onan 5500 generator past the 1.5L level. Here's a thread in another forum from back 2011 about the same problem: https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...500-oil-change

Here's one "expert's" solution: https://www.rvwithtito.com/articles/...tor-oil-change He recommends "filling with 1.6L of new oil"...

While the "end game" may be to "squeeze in every drop, up to the spec'd amount, I've often wondered about the oil that's in the filter. In some specs, the "oil quantity" includes the 1/2-2 cups needed to fill the filter, in some specs, the quantity is "with a full filter" which means in one engine, you ADD oil for the filter and in another engine, you DON'T ADD oil for the filter...

It may be that Onan is one of those where the specs call for "total oil INCLUDING the filter" and the oil pan is "a tad less than it was when the manuals were printed'....

I'd suggest, fill to the level that indicates "full" and operate the generator as designed. Overfilling can damage the engine, so "making the machine fit the manual" isn't what I'd try to do..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Soundchaser

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I would have driven myself crazy. Put in the lower amount, about 1.5 quarts. Have put about 7 hours on and level still checks out spot on and generator runs fine.
Soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's not "just Onan" that prints specs, then changes things (or doesn't fully explain the conditions) and then fails to update the specs in the manual....

Back in 1993 I bought a F250 with a 7.3l diesel. If I remember correctly, the manual called for 11 quarts of oil. The first time I went to the dealership for an oil change, they installed 13 quarts (at least they charged me for 13 quarts)…. After a long, LONG discussion (nobody in the service department could tell me for sure how much oil was "supposed to be used") we found out that Ford had changed the oil pan, increasing the amount to 12 quarts and the specs were written for the old oil pan WITHOUT the "dry filter" amount. So, in actuality, that truck took 12.5 quarts, the trucks built early in the 93 model year took 11 + 1.5 for the filter and those built even earlier took 10 + the filter.

So, fill your generator until the hash marks show full, crank it up and enjoy the power it provides.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator