Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
JMReid

Help with folding step issue

I have a 2008 Keystone outback. the steps on my front door are sagging and the angle bracket has started to crack and rip away from the bracket. I have had it welded once and a 45 degree reinforcement bracket welded to the frame to try and support the step. NO LUCK still ripping away and getting worse. Any one have any suggestions before I go out and purchase Mor/Ryde quick Connect steps. Door is too narrow for the folding Mor/Ryde system. If the option is to purchase the steps. I need to know if there is sufficient structure below the door to mount the brackets to.
JMReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
bobbecky

Our steps broke a couple years ago and I just replaced them with the same Lippert steps. It makes things much more simple just sticking with the same type of steps as everything bolts back the same. An RV dealer can help figure out what steps to order.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Bob on this one... The current steps lasted from 2007/2008 until now. Chances are the next set will last about the same time frame. That will mean they would be on a 21 or 22 year old RV. I haven't seen many RV's of any quality that old, certainly not any that would be "worthy of extensive modifications of the steps"... I'd replace what's there with a similar "updated" model of the OEM steps and expect them to last until the RV is either sold, given away or trashed.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 AM   #4
JMReid

Thanks

Gentlemen thanks for your help. Yup, that would fix the issue if the steps were bad. I guess I should have been more clear. The issue I'm having is with the bracket that the steps mount to. This bracket is cracking and breaking away from the chassis of the trailer. It's a poor design. A flat plate welded to the main chassis of the trailer extended to the side under the door with a bolt securing the outer edge to the floor frame. The bolt is inside the floor frame and you cant get to it.
JMReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:12 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMReid View Post
Gentlemen thanks for your help. Yup, that would fix the issue if the steps were bad. I guess I should have been more clear. The issue I'm having is with the bracket that the steps mount to. This bracket is cracking and breaking away from the chassis of the trailer. It's a poor design. A flat plate welded to the main chassis of the trailer extended to the side under the door with a bolt securing the outer edge to the floor frame. The bolt is inside the floor frame and you cant get to it.
Welcome to the forum from just a few miles south of you. Any possibility of posting a picture of what you have going on with that mount?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 AM   #6
Roscommon48

pics are a must.

my suggestion without pics would be to get it to a welder who can offer you advice.

good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
LHaven

Once you get your steps repaired or replaced, you may want to consider picking up one of those Stromberg Carlson post jacks for the lower step. They attach permanently on the bottom of your lowest step, and they're a minor chore to screw to the right height every time you change location, but they take the strain off your floating steps entirely. Aware that I am a heavy and wide load, and that floating steps would be no match for me, I put one of those on my previous rig early on, and the steps lasted for 20 years with absolutely no issues.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...bil-step-jack/
Old 11-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Once you get your steps repaired or replaced, you may want to consider picking up one of those Stromberg Carlson post jacks for the lower step. They attach permanently on the bottom of your lowest step, and they're a minor chore to screw to the right height every time you change location, but they take the strain off your floating steps entirely. Aware that I am a heavy and wide load, and that floating steps would be no match for me, I put one of those on my previous rig early on, and the steps lasted for 20 years with absolutely no issues.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...bil-step-jack/
I put these on both sets of steps for the same reasons. They help stop the "rocking & rolling"when entering/exiting the trailer as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote