Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
ballpj

Hornet Manual Rear Slide Issue

Hey guys first post on the forums. I've done a lot of research over the past few days and I'm coming up empty on this one. What I have is a 2004 Keystone Hornet 24RSL. My issue is around the rear slide. Based on some of the original sales literature, this is and has always been a manual slide. There's two tracks that get mounted to the back wall of the camper. The slide rides on the track straight out and diagonally back to the camper below the track is a bar that also clips to the back of the camper.

So what's happening is both of the bottom clips broke. They're the clips that have the pushbutton that are used on awnings. So the original owner didn't mention anything about the slide had to be locked into place from the inside of the camper. Unfortunately, the slide doesn't want to push all the way out on the bottom. So the top of the rear slide is further out than the bottom. Thinking it through I'm guessing that's why the bottom clips are breaking. Too much weight being forced on them.

My question is do any of you have experience with this type of situation? When I talked to the original owner who is much bigger than me and his wife is bigger than my gf, he said they hardly could ever get that slide locked on the inside and he just stopped trying to get it locked. I'm just trying to generate some ideas on what might be going on with the bottom of the slide not wanting to come out far enough.

Last point is I do make sure I'm level front to back and side to side obviously. Any ideas would be appreciated.
ballpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

It sounds like your manual slide is the same thing that’s used on some of the older outbacks. It pulls out, locks in place on the inside and has supports that attach to the outer edge of the slide and the bottom of the rear of the trailer.

If you could post some pics showing the slide fully retracted, extended 1/4 and 1/2 of the way out and fully extended, we may be able to see if there is an obvious issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
ballpj

Thanks Chuckster. I started the process of replacing the locking clips. Bolts were rusted and a pain to get off. Im going to try to get some new hardware this weekend. Once I get that done I'll get some pictures. It's my daughter's bday party Sat so maybe sat evening or Sunday I can get back to working on it. I'll take some pics.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Whenever you get the chance!! I’m switching dealerships (after 5 yrs), this weekend so I may be preoccupied too. Tell you daughter happy birthday from everyone here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the lower braces are either not applying enough pressure to lift the end of the slide so it's square in the trailer opening or they are misaligned or the slide is bent/warped and no longer square in the trailer frame opening.

You might try using a 2x4 under the slide at the "end furthest from the trailer and use a jack to lift that end of the slide 2 or 3 inches (don't over reach the lift and damage the top of the slide). If you can use jacks and straight 2x4's to realign the slide, you may be able to get the new locks to function as designed.

I agree, pictures are worth a thousand words and will help tremendously when you can post photos of what you're facing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
ballpj

Alright. So I've done some research and found what was mentioned about the older Outbacks. I actually found a ton of info on another forum, but here's what I was able to get so far. I have not mounted the new clips yet because I'm replacing the hardware. I'm getting new hardware tonight. I can't pull the slide out very far because I don't have the tracks and didn't feel comfortable pulling it out without the tracks. I noticed a couple things taking pics. There's a crack in the rear wall to the right of the slide when you're looking from inside the camper. That's the side where the clip broke, that's the slide where I also see a bent bracket on the trolley in the slide inside the camper. So I know that side is definitely different for some reason. I'll post pics of what I have now and get some more as well after I mount the new clips.

I also see some separation in the bottom corner exterior. I read on another post to pop the plastic cover on the corner and replace the screws with 3" screws and add more so there are screws about every 2". I can do that and understand it, but I feel that might be more of a symptom than the cause.

Finally, when I lock the slide into place, the latch is on an angle and when you push up hard on the latch handle, that whole corner of the slide moves up. It almost seems to me like the trolley needs adjusted possibly. I don't know enough yet about it to fully understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_154535.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	24199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_155232.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	24200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_154137.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	24201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_155254.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	24202  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
ballpj

I forgot to mention on that same side, the top clip for the slide track is no longer tight. You can see it below the wheel in the first set of pictures. I also noticed the small screws holding the interior track to the ceiling that one is backing out on the same side. Including some more pictures as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191029_155405.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	24203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_155239.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_154155.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	24205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_154704.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	24206  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
ballpj

One last thing. Since I don't know how much this camper was molested to begin with, if you notice the picture below of someone else's camper from another forum showing the bottom clip, the "meat" of that clip is on the bottom. It's like it's upside down. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it sure seems like that would be smart. All four of mine were mounted exactly like the top clips and both of the bottom ones broke. When I go to reinstall, do any of you know how those are actually supposed to be mounted?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191028-215914.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	24207  

Tags
slide