Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
don_61760

A/C and furnace thermostat

We have a Keystone Outback 30frks5th wheel which we really like but the remote control thermostat for the ac and furnace is a pretty much useless. Is it possible to disconnect it and use a wall mount thermostat? I've considered the possibility of a Dometic but I'm confused. Does that come with a control box that mounts in the a/c unit? Anyone tried to do this?
don_61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_61760 View Post
We have a Keystone Outback 30frks5th wheel which we really like but the remote control thermostat for the ac and furnace is a pretty much useless. Is it possible to disconnect it and use a wall mount thermostat? I've considered the possibility of a Dometic but I'm confused. Does that come with a control box that mounts in the a/c unit? Anyone tried to do this?
Don, the Dometic CCC thermostat will require your a/c systems to have a control box in them. If you are just looking to replace a more standard type thermostat unit ( non CANBUS) I had a Filtrete 7 day programmable wired into our rig, that controlled the a/c and the furnace.. before I upgraded to zoned control. It was battery operated so no running aux power.

What a/c do you have?

Furnace is generally a two-wire, it just needs a relay, so it's pretty simple.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
don_61760

Thanks for reply. The original a/c was a carrier air v. I has been replaced by a dometic brisk2. I haven't pulled off the grill yet but there has to be a control box inside. There is no thermostat on the wall but is controlled by an infrared remote controller. I am hoping I can replace the control with a dometic and a wired thermostat. The temp differential with the current setup is extreme. It is always too hot or too cold never just right.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If there is a wireless controller for the air conditioner, it's significantly more advanced than a "wired analog thermostat".... My guess is that if you can find the air conditioner/remote control set up instructions" somewhere in that document will be a procedure for changing the "set temperature tolerance". Older bi-metal thermostats ranged anywhere for +/- 5 degrees to +/- 3 degrees. Today's digital thermostats usually have a setting adjustment of either 2 degree or 1 degree swing.

If your "controller" is a remote system, I'd bet that there is a setting in the menu to adjust that temperature swing. The problem is finding the instructions on how to access and adjust it in the setup menu.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Archergodwin

I'm going to assume you have a 3rd party IR remote system, as Dometic does not make one.
Who makes your remote?

As John said.. you need to find the manual for it, or go online and find it... make sure it's setup correctly.

To answer your other original questions... I replaced my main a/c system this summer, and then added the appropriate control boxes to both front and main systems, (Dometic Brisk Air II, both) with a wall mount thermostat using zone control for both a/c units and the furnace. It was not an easy job, and the main hassle was running new wiring through an already built RV, but I found a much easier path to route.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
don_61760

I think you're describing what I have in mind. When the carrier a/c was replaced was the time to change the controller. I think this dometic unit on amazon would do the job , dometic 3316230.00 rv I would probably just run the thermostat wire on the surface. I just hate to order something not being sure it will work.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_61760 View Post
I think you're describing what I have in mind. When the carrier a/c was replaced was the time to change the controller. I think this dometic unit on amazon would do the job , dometic 3316230.00 rv I would probably just run the thermostat wire on the surface. I just hate to order something not being sure it will work.
Yeah, the Dometic site and manuals don't exactly make it easy to design a system.

I converted my front unit which had manual controls over to the zone control, so I had to get a control box and new interior air box.

These are the main pieces I bought for my system:

B59516 Brisk Air II 15k
3105935.039 quick cool air package ducted return
3314082.011 white CCC2 thermostat
3312020.000 2 control boxes/kits
3314850.000 non ducted air box for front unit.
Oh, and you need a remote temp sensor for each zone.

Then a spool of nice conductor wire for my new 12vdc line to the main unit.
2ea 25ft RJ11 telephone wire (4 conductor)
wire snake

Once I understood that the Dometic CCC controls system was CANBUS, it made it a little easier to understand the layout of the whole thing. The phone cable is for communication between the control boxes and the thermostat, and also supplies the 12v from the main control box to the auxillary. (for me that was my front system).

The hardest part of the whole thing was running the wires from thermostat to the main ac and from the main ac to the front unit. I did manage to get a lot of wire ran up through the middle of the unit, in the wall between the living area and the bathroom, where all the other main bundles were routed, and going to the front from there was also not to tough... but trying to figure out how I was going to span that 8+ ft distance to the main unit was about impossible... till I decided to route my new wires inside the cooling duct... it was a spark of brilliance, I'll admit... hahaha... but it really did make it so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	24161   Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	24162   Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	24163  
Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Archergodwin

One other thing to say for anybody reading this, check all your ducted vents and ducts. I had huge leaks in my system... poorly taped is an understatement. I went through and removed each vent grill in the ceiling and the mount for it. Then used my roll of really nice aluminum tape and sealed each one up nicely. Remounted the vent mount and vent... and I got a huge increase in the amount of air out of each ceiling vent.

Tags
furnace