Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
geo

Pantry Lights

The pantry on our Alpine 3640 is deep (30") and narrow (13"). It is also positioned such that only the entryway light provides any (actually very little) light inside the pantry. My DW didn't like searching the pantry with flashlight in hand. While at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I noticed a package of LED puck lights. These lights can be manually turned off and on, but also, there is an ambient light sensor in the puck that will turn the light on when low level light is detected! The back of the puck could be attached by self-adhesive Velcro patches and/or a screw. I opted for some short nylon binding posts from HD and the Velcro. I drilled a hole through the shelf and attached the puck with not only the Velcro adhesive pads but also a nearly flush nylon screw. Now, when the DW opens the pantry, the LED puck light comes on just like the light in the refrigerator!

And I don't have to search for the flashlight when I need it!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantry_light.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	667   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_puck.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	668  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Pantry lights

I agree that lights in the pantry are a great idea but I am a bit confused.

When the door is closed it is dark inside, when you open the door it is less dark -- so how does a low light set up turn on the light when you open the door? Seems to me that the light would be on when the door is closed. What am I missing here?

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
geo

Detector placement

John -

Just like in the fridge, there's a little man in there that turns the light on and off.

The ambient light detector is on the side of the puck. One has to make sure this detector is pointed towards the door. If not, there is not enough light detected to activate the circuit. So, the door can be opened but the light doesn't come on. As the detector is on the side, it "sees" very little of the LED light.

Our lights in the top two shelves work fine whether the entry light is on or not. However, the lower shelf light doesn't "see" enough ambient light to activate unless the entry light is on. Easy solution, just reach in and move the slide switch on the side to disable the detector, and the light turns on. Another downside, is one is wearing a dark shirt or top at night and reaches for something in the back, enough light is blocked/absorbed to momentarily kill the light. Of course, then it turns into a game, which is quicker, the hand or the detector?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Lights

Ah-Ha,

I was under the impression that the lamp lighted in the absence of light, not the reverse.

Thanks for the clarification.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote