Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Bamabox

Water on bathroom floor during rainstorm

Last Thursday night while camping in RI, and during a heavy rainstorm which lasted a couple hours, water appeared on the bathroom floor and ran across into the main cabin over to the stove. Guessing a cup or so. It originated in between the bathroom sink cabinet and the shower enclosure which is a narrow little space couple inches wide. No evidence of water on the walls or ceiling. The two items that go through the roof in that area are the vent/fan, and the skylight over the shower. Caulk around both looks fine. The gasket on the vent was not in place properly on the hinge side, so I’m going to take care of that, but it wouldn’t seem possible that 8 oz of water could bounce off the roof up under the vent cover in that one spot. When it happened I removed the access cover for both the sink cabinet and the shower drain access cover, and saw no evidence of water in either place. There is plumbing drain that goes through that narrow space, and there’s a joint there, but used sink and shower many times after the rainstorm and no water on floor. This is a 21rbs and the sink is dead in the back corner and the shower on same side next to it. Slide and refrigerator side. Checked caulk around plumbing vent and refer vent on roof, all fine. Took cap off plumbing vent, no blockage.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Last Thursday night while camping in RI, and during a heavy rainstorm which lasted a couple hours, water appeared on the bathroom floor and ran across into the main cabin over to the stove. Guessing a cup or so. It originated in between the bathroom sink cabinet and the shower enclosure which is a narrow little space couple inches wide. No evidence of water on the walls or ceiling. The two items that go through the roof in that area are the vent/fan, and the skylight over the shower. Caulk around both looks fine. The gasket on the vent was not in place properly on the hinge side, so I’m going to take care of that, but it wouldn’t seem possible that 8 oz of water could bounce off the roof up under the vent cover in that one spot. When it happened I removed the access cover for both the sink cabinet and the shower drain access cover, and saw no evidence of water in either place. There is plumbing drain that goes through that narrow space, and there’s a joint there, but used sink and shower many times after the rainstorm and no water on floor. This is a 21rbs and the sink is dead in the back corner and the shower on same side next to it. Slide and refrigerator side. Checked caulk around plumbing vent and refer vent on roof, all fine. Took cap off plumbing vent, no blockage.
The power cord comes in through the mouse hole and under the bathroom sink on mine. Could it have leaked in there?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Bamabox

Found the leak. Shower enclosure down in the corner against the wall. Leaked down into that little space between the vanity and the shower pan. Was not caulked properly at the base of the glass/frame onto the pan. Upon close inspection could see the bottom of the vanity had been wet before, but not real bad. While I was at it and had the cover off the shower pan, I cut some pieces of 2x4 to jam under the shower pan to reinforce it better. Was alway very flexy when I was in there. 215. Much better now. Also when I was suspecting a roof leak I had removed the fridge vent cover and found an old mouse nest on top of the wire screen. That was the final discovery that has now convinced me NOT to cover the trailer this winter. Cover just makes it too cozy. I have no trees to drop stuff on it, I’m on the north facing slope at the bottom of a mountain and the trailer will see about 2 hours of sunlight on Dec 22.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
The power cord comes in through the mouse hole and under the bathroom sink on mine. Could it have leaked in there?
No. Had that cover off, no evidence of water ever being in there. Then I discovered the shower leak. Thanks for the reply.

Tags
floor, water