Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
captbru

GMC 2500HD Towing An Avalanche

New to the forum, were in the process of buying a 2011 Avalanche 320RK. Should pick it up from the dealer in a week or so, waiting for slider tops and window awnings to come in. We have a 2005 GMC 2500HD duramax/allision, I have no idea what the pin wgt will be on the unit. It looks like we may be over on the rear axle. I noticed that there are larger trailers being pulled with 2500HD diesel trucks on this forum, how is the handling on your trucks and larger trailers. The Avalanche dry 10460, max 14000, my truck per specs can handle up to 16000. It's a hvy duty trk put that 2760lb cargo wgt per plate on door I question. ANY ADVICE
captbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Bob Landry

The plate on the door gives the axle ratings for your truck, You also know the published weights for the trailer and you can assume the pin weight is going to be more because you are going to load up the front area. That will tell you if you are overloaded. It's your call if you want to pull overloaded and a lot of people do. At any rate, it appears that the trailer is already a done deal, so good luck with it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
mhs4771

Right from the Keystone site, pin weight is listed as 2360, which is probably way on the low side. So depending on how you load the rig you could be up to 2600 to 2700 easy, add fuel, 5th wheel hitch, family and cargo and you will be well past your weight limit. And yep you will see lots of equal or lesser trucks pulling just as big or bigger rigs, but the big question how safe are they? It's up to you as to the value of safety you want for you and your family. My Montana is pretty close in size and weight and I pull it with a 1 ton dually and wouldn't consider anything smaller, but that's my preference. Good luck with what ever you do.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
captbru

Base on input were not moving forward and buying this trailer. Just to much for the truck. Still want a Keystone, have switched gears and will most likely get a Leredo. Small siz and less pin weight. Thanks for input.

Bruce
captbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Handysam

Bruce, I think that is a wise decision. We too wanted something bigger before buying our Cougar, but we were not going to get a dually quite yet. Good Luck, Happy Camping, Sam
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
KanTC

Hi Bruce, and welcome to the forum.

You've discovered *the catch-22* about owning a diesel truck ~~ the weight of the engine itself adds a lot
to the (actual) weight of the truck, and as a result the payload/cargo capacity #'s are lower...
typically lower than expected, given the towing capabilities.

We have a Laredo 5th wheel and have been extremely pleased with it... our 2nd Keystone.

If you have any questions, just send me a PM.

Happy shopping!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote