Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #21
cookinwitdiesel

I have had a couple days when the side of the trailer in my driveway was covered in stinkers, I think they are attracted to the heat in the trailer (they are essentially a greenhouse if you don't run the AC) and trying to find somewhere to hide out for the winter. Several years ago they were rampant in my house but have not been nearly as severe since that first year. I have heard squishing them releases the stink and may attract more, so I humanely flush them alive down the toilet , throw them in the fire (they make a nice hiss/puff), or live release them outside. As noted, they are slow moving and do not fly for very long/far when they do decide to fly. I have consistently been able to get them to "board" a fly swatter for relocation.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #22
dleever

Stink Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG10894 View Post
About 3 weeks ago we went camping around Asheville, NC. Some folks told us to watch out for stink bugs, and told stories of being infested several weeks after leaving the area. I had never heard of stink bugs "moving in", but watched for them anyway. Only saw one or two UNTIL TODAY. I was doing some maint. and opened the access cover over the water pump and found about 10 in the carpet fold. Those are gone now, but what can I do to get rid of stink bugs in my trailer? Is this common, or somehow unique to NC mountains.

Attachment 18871
I have found Talstal P is a great insecticide to control stink bugs and a multitude of other pests. It is available from Amazon.
dleever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #23
rmhaney

Kansas covered in them

We were out in Kansas the last two weeks September and our RV was covered up with them. Haven’t seen any since returning home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG10894 View Post
About 3 weeks ago we went camping around Asheville, NC. Some folks told us to watch out for stink bugs, and told stories of being infested several weeks after leaving the area. I had never heard of stink bugs "moving in", but watched for them anyway. Only saw one or two UNTIL TODAY. I was doing some maint. and opened the access cover over the water pump and found about 10 in the carpet fold. Those are gone now, but what can I do to get rid of stink bugs in my trailer? Is this common, or somehow unique to NC mountains.

Attachment 18871
rmhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #24
Nagrompj

Look for “spider killer” spray. I’m told if it kills spiders it will kill stink bugs. I spray anywhere the can get in. It doesn’t stop all of them but it makes a difference.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #25
Meyers-Gaw

Red face Stink Bug annoyance in laundry

From experience--Those annoying little critters also will burrow into your laundry. When you notice a few in the TT you will want to shake out each piece before putting in washing machine. The washing kills them but leaves a yucky stain on the fabric where they were hiding. They are sturdy enough to fall out of the washer nearly intact.

We came home from an infestation area last week, South Bend, Indiana. The Morning we got home, I opened up to start cleaning and with the sun warming the side of the TT The hitchhikers, marched out of the door frame in formation. There were 14 of them. I was not fast enough to kill all. I expect there are some in the power cord storage, too.
Meyers-Gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

We see the occasional one at home. They smell bad if you crush them so many people that have a larger issue with them use a "bug vac" to capture and dispose of them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
cdotson

It's the time of year for them to invade campers. We had an infestation last year at a nearby state park the first day it was cool enough to not need the A/C my daughter turned it off as we left for a few hours. Upon returning in the early evening there were nearly 1,000 of the things in our 18' camper.

They seemed to mostly come in around the A/C perimeter. I think the vibration of it running and the cooler air discourages them.

We've found that there are certain smells/odors that repel them. We've kept dryer sheets in our camper as we've heard about them repelling mice (never had a mouse problem) and we crammed the dryer sheets around the gaps of the air conditioner. This kept more from entering even after we pulled the trailer home. I've head that they also don't like Peppermint Oil. The smell of their fallen brethren seems to actually be a repellent to other stink bugs in addition to humans.

With the trailer home removing the remaining bugs was easy with the use of a shop vac. Just try to keep the vacuum exhaust separate from the air you're breathing.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
cwenn

Stink bug prevention method

Jerry may have found a method to prevent the critters from getting inside your camper, watch his method in the You Tube video below.
We had them at a campground in Indiana and I found a bunch of them in my battery box. They had accessed the battery box through the vent.

cwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #29
Al D.

I live in NC. Hadn't really found anything to get rid of stink bugs but we mix a little Dawn dishwashing liquid and water together in a spray bottle and spray them when we see them. It does a real good job killing them and cheaper than commercial sprays.
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote