Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
cayovelez

No air or heat - bedroom

Hello,

I have a new to me 2016 Cougar 244rlswe and turn on the heat on for first time and noticed no heat nor air on the floor vent in the bedroom. The other 2 vents have plenty of heat and and air. Did a quick visual on the vent from underneath and all seemed ok. Any ideas on how to begin to troubleshoot tomorrow?

Thanks, Carlos
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
Hello,

I have a new to me 2016 Cougar 244rlswe and turn on the heat on for first time and noticed no heat nor air on the floor vent in the bedroom. The other 2 vents have plenty of heat and and air. Did a quick visual on the vent from underneath and all seemed ok. Any ideas on how to begin to troubleshoot tomorrow?

Thanks, Carlos
If there is nothing coming out of the vent, it would seem to me that the ductwork is not connected somewhere between the furnace and the vent outlet. I'm afraid the only way to find this, and to make the repair is to visually follow the ductwork from the vent, all the way back to where it attaches to the furnace.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
slow

If the duct run is long from the heater to the bedroom, you will get very little heated airflow to the bedroom. That was the issue I had.

To resolve it, I dropped the comoplast under the trailer and shortened the duct hose and made sure the duct hose was no longer pinched in a couple of spots. I then added duct dampers at the heater to allow me to balance the heated air flow to the various duct hoses. Otherwise all the hot air comes out the closest heat register which was the opposite side of the TT from the bedroom.

Here is what the heater looks like after adding the adjustable dampers and a heater duct to the bathroom: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=3637
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
mcomeaux

Put a camera in the opening and follow it through. Roto rooter guys have cameras as well as heating and cooling outfits. Easy find that way..Take it to place of business and no service call charge...Let us know what you find.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
notanlines

That camera in the openning is a good idea, but just buy one off Amazon. $30 will get all the length you need and it works on your iPhone.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
cayovelez

Thanks for the input, will tackle it today.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
slow

Be cautious since the duct material is not very robust and tears / punctures easily, as least that is the case with mine.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
cayovelez

Hello all,

So I finally had a chance to go through my furnace ducts. There is very faint flow( i mean barely noticeable flow) in the bedroom. The duct is 100% clear without any obstructions. When I close the other 2 ducts the flow in bedroom improves slightly. Don't know how to proceed. The distance of the affected duct is not much greater than the one by entrance door.

Thanks,

carlos
Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
nitrouspaul

i have same problem what gives here the fans make such a noise it should heat an 3 brm apartment and i get a whisp from the floor registers
nitrouspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
cayovelez

It is crazy. I checked all ducts from furnace out to bedroom and everything seems fine. My dealer tells me that is normal, because people want a cooler bedroom. So why go to the trouble of laying duct into bedroom? I get absolutely no flow, not even a hint. It has been so frustrating that I have given up on it.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
Alpine

Don't give up my friend... there may be an obstruction in the actual ductwork. Have you pulled the ductwork right at where it attaches to the furnace? "They" may have left the round plug/plate attached to the furnace, where it dispenses into the ductwork, to the bedroom area. Give that a look before you "give up!"

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Don't give up my friend... there may be an obstruction in the actual ductwork. Have you pulled the ductwork right at where it attaches to the furnace? "They" may have left the round plug/plate attached to the furnace, where it dispenses into the ductwork, to the bedroom area. Give that a look before you "give up!"

^^^^If you haven't done this you need to. If your duct is clear and all the connections are good this would be the place to look.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
It is crazy. I checked all ducts from furnace out to bedroom and everything seems fine. My dealer tells me that is normal, because people want a cooler bedroom. So why go to the trouble of laying duct into bedroom? I get absolutely no flow, not even a hint. It has been so frustrating that I have given up on it.
sounds like whoever told you that used to work in IT ... standard excuse #12 "It's not a bug, it's a design feature"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Genek

My 2017 Cougar did the same... no flow to half of the system. Turns out the duct at the unit going one way had tape over the opening to the duct. The poor workmanship at the factory and delivery check at Camping World never caught that the clown at the factory installing the roof unit had covered the duct outflow with tape.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

This forum is so great! Our new Premiere seems to have the same issue. So, next chance I get I am starting on the closest/easiest part to check. Is the opening on the furnace to that duct really open? Cause that heater REALLY puts out in the bathroom (right next to the furnace) and into the main area, also right next to the furnace.
Claim to fame by Keystone is the "heated duct in the floor" making it an "extended" three season camper.
I also liked the idea of gating the outputs so that more was directed to the back bedroom.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, heat