Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
lantrim55

Question Cloudy/dirty water issue

We have a 2015 Cougar 24RKS, this is our first travel trailer and we are in our third season using the trailer and we love it. However, I have recently experienced a problem using the water tank. When I first turn on the cold water it runs cloudy with a noticeable yellowish colour. After a few moments the water then runs clear, but when the tap is turned on again later in the day, the flow starts with the same dirty looking water.
At the end of each season I've always drained the water tank (and water heater) and winterized the lines. In the spring I sanitize the tank with bleach, let it sit over night (or drive it around to thoroughly clean the tank) and run several tank loads of water through. I always use a fresh water hose to fill the tank.
I have to admit that this is the first year that I learned I should run the water pump to completely empty the hot and cold lines but have done this several times recently in an attempt to address this dirty water issue.
Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
lantrim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Questions, not answers, that might help diagnose the problem: Are you getting cloudy water from all the faucets (kitchen, bathroom, shower, outside shower), or just one? When you sanitize the tank do you run the faucets until you smell the bleach and then leave them filled for 24 hours before emptying the tank?

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you have a contaminated fresh water system. Whether it's in the tank, the hose from the tank to the pump, the pump head or a part of the plumbing runs after the tank, it's all 'contaminated' and needs to be sanitized. First, completely empty your fresh water system, including the water heater. Then fill the fresh water tank about half full, add Clorox (1/2 cup per 10 gallons of fresh water) and then continue filling the tank. Turn on the pump and allow the water heater to completely fill until you have a solid flow at every hot water faucet and the shower. Then start at the nearest cold water faucet and let it run until you smell the bleach in the water at the faucet strainer. Turn off that faucet and continue to the next furthest faucet and do the same until all the faucets smell of bleach. Don't forget the outside faucets/shower/sink. Once you've used water to purge the plumbing system, your fresh water tank will be nearly empty, refill completely so all parts of the tank are in contact with the bleach solution. You shouldn't need to add more bleach if you used the above concentration.

Let your system sit for 24 hours, then drain the fresh water tank and water heater. Refill and flush the system with fresh water. You may need to do this two times to remove all the bleach smell.

You do need to determine the quality of water you're putting into your fresh water tank. If it's well water, has it been tested and are there any organic substances in the water? If so, you may need to use a filter when filling the fresh water tank and possibly add the recommended amount of chlorine to the tank (check with your public water commission to get their recommendations.

Hopefully this will clean your system and get you "starting fresh".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
lantrim55

Very thorough directions

Thanks John, I'll give this a try today and see tomorrow how things look.
I likely wasn't as thorough with making sure I ran the bleached water through all the lines before I drained the tank last time I sanitized it. Also, I don't remember running the bleached water through the Utility Shower outside - so I'll make sure to do that as well.
I know the water source isn't the problem. We live in Greater Vancouver, BC and have very high quality water from the Capilano and Seymour watersheds so it must be something I'm doing (or not doing).
I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again,
Larry
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
lantrim55

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the suggestions John made (below) will do the trick.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
lantrim55

With the current wildfire situation in BC, we ended up not taking the trailer out last week. However, testing the flow of water while the trailer is still sitting in our driveway so far has seen the water running clear.
Thanks for the clear directions, John. I'm confident the problem is solved and I can avoid having a repeat.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm glad you got things working the way they should. We sanitize our system every spring and if it sits for more than 3 or 4 weeks, I resanitize. Better safe than sorry, even if we don't intentionally drink the water, there's some that's going to get into the drinking system at times.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water