Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
JimSchwenk

Length/Quality of extension vs loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think you actually have two issues going on. First "was" (now is) loose, arced connections. The condition of the hot lead in your photo shows arcing and a poor connection. You're going to get a voltage drop across that terminal in the plug which will cause an increased amp load which just makes it deteriorate faster. It will, in the not too distant future, short out and stop working. Whether it's tomorrow or next month is anybody's guess....

Now, the second issue, and probably the root of what started the first issue is the total length of the wiring (shore power cord/extension cord). Your trailer shore power cable is probably 25-30' long and you're using a 30' extension cord. That's roughly a 60' run of 30 amp cable (very near or over the maximum run) with a connector in the middle and one on each end, any or all of which may have that arcing/burned connector. With the starting load of a typical RV air conditioner in hot weather, you're probably loading the cable with more demand than it can carry. With the arced terminal, the voltage drop will likely cause an amp load increase that will melt the wiring where it connects to the pin in that plug. I'd suspect that with the air conditioner running that plug is so hot that it would burn your hand if you tried to hold it without a glove.

The fix? Cut that end off the cable and install a "quality" 30 amp replacement plug. Marinco is the brand I use, but there are many other brands that are just as good. Don't buy the $3.99 discount store brand..... It might work, but IMHO, the quality of the pins is such that they just don't last and in a week or two, they will look just like your photo.

Ultimately, try to eliminate the need for the extension cord. If you can park the trailer closer to the outlet, don't use the extension cord. If you can't, then possibly find a 50' power cord so you don't have the "plug in the middle"..... Along with that, try to eliminate all the trailer electrical load that you can. Turn off the electric element on the water heater, run the refrigerator on LPG, and avoid using the microwave with the A/C running. Even though you don't blow the circuit breaker, you're at/very near the maximum 30 amps. Reducing the power consumption will reduce the load through that pin, helping preserve the replacement plug and prevent it from overheating and melting the plastic like this one.
Another good reason for me to install an EMS!
My home landing place is a private campground with reliable power, but since we all have nice big sites I have positioned my TT a good distance from the pedestal. I've never noticed an issue, and honestly only have run my AC at times of really hot weather - I'm under the trees. I basically camp solo (widowed 2 years ago), so things don't get left turned on unless I'm using them and inside the camper.
My AC kicks butt, works well and I've never noticed a hot connection issue or performance degrade of the electronics, AC, microwave, etc. I run TWO high quality extensions to my TT line, plug ends are sealed HD units and they are elevated on brincks and kept under staked-down small buckets to protect from rain water, snow, etc. You'd think I would be noticing issues but for three years in the 29R and previously with my other 30 amp TT I have had no problems.
Ignorance is bliss, they say...but my TT is paid for and I feel like I'm living on borrowed time. Need to take some V and I readings to see what's actually being delivered to my box. And blow the dust off my credit cards and spring for that EMS...
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #22
tundrwd

Hard to tell from the pics, but it might be 12ga wire. Should definitely be 10ga or even 8ga (a bit overkill, but...)

How much did you pay for the extension cable? That's your first indication. Cheaper cable means cheaper components, and just have a 30amp connector on it doesn't mean the wire is spec'ed right. They can save a few $$$ by using 12ga over 10ga.

I'd sure try to eliminate ANY extension cable. The cable can heat up, causing shorts or a possible fire. Does the cable get hot to your touch? How fast? If it gets hot in a few minutes of running your A/C - too small a gauge of wire, and too long an extension.

The only time I use my extension cable is when I'm NOT running the A/C (and when the pedestal is too far away).
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #23
JimSchwenk

Yep, tinning is simple and quick if you have a soldering iron that has enough horse to heat up the 10 ga wire strands. And a little training.
As for the "grease" issue, I have a tube of No-Corrode from back when I worked the power gang at Lucent. It goes on my battery connections and other stuff. NOT TOO MUCH, as already advised. It definitely softens up under heat. Can't even squeeze the stuff out in cold weather.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power