Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
E Rod

Alpine slide out issue

Anyone having issues with their slide outs? I have a 2017 Alpine 3660FL with the In Command. The problem I'm having issue with is I have to press button approximately 4-5 times to extend hydraulic slideouts. They retract fine. I replaced the solenoid and installed a new battery no luck..
It happened before but it was repaired under warranty. Stated it was the BCM board. I doubt it's that this time because everything else works fine...
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
ChuckS

So how do the slides work when you use the good old fashioned mechanical switch? If the slides extend fine when using the manual switch then you’ve narrowed it down to the “In Command system”

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
E Rod

My unit doesn't have any mechanical switches for the kitchen hydraulic slide outs. The In Command is a touch screen pad mounted on wall. It controls lighting, water heater, pump, both electric and hydraulic slide outs. Only issue I'm having is when extending the hydraulic slide outs. I have to touch screen pad a few times till the kitchen slides are fully extended. Retracting is no problem .
Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
lt_cowboy

Have you linked your inCommand to a Bluetooth phone? I almost exclusively use my phone to extend slides. I do completely dislike the lack of regular switches... I like redundancy
lt_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Several years ago Cougar came out with a "flat screen control system" that had significant problems with switch function failures. They were installed in almost all Cougar trailers "back when" (about 2012-2013 if I recall correctly) and about half the owners had problems with the screens doing what yours is doing. There are several threads in the forum archives that you can search to compare.

It may be that your "in command flat screen" is a similar concept, although much improved, and only a few (rather than most) owners are having problems. I'd suggest making sure the dealer is aware and fixes it under warranty. The Cougar system was in the "thousands to repair" once it was out of warranty.... Don't get caught in that pitfall if you can avoid it.

Your problem may not be related, but better safe than sorry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
E Rod

Yes, it's linked to phone. Issue remains. They fixed the issue once under warranty. Though it started doing it again just not as bad. Before I would have to press the touch screen 43 times each way.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
E Rod

If anyone has had this issue and were able to bypass the touch pad by installing mechanical switches ,please let me know how you wired it up as I'm thinking of doing just that hopefully it will solve my issue.

2017 Alpine 3660FL
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
TJG0524

We have the same InCommand system in our 2016 Alpine, and it can be annoying to use. The computer motherboard was replaced once under warranty.
We occasionally have the same issue with the hydraulic slides when retracting them from the InCommand display or a phone with the Bluetooth app.
The fix we found is to power off the InCommand display, power it back up and it works.
Yeah, that's not a permanent fix but it's quick. Hope it helps you.
TJG0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
Mikendebbie

touchy screen

I have to be very careful about fingertip placement over the "in" or "out" button on the screen, and then I have to press pretty firm/hard with consistent pressure for things to work. I never touch the button just right on first attempt, even though I try. DW has same issues...I tell her to press hard and stay on it until you hear the sound of the motor change and everything snugs up flush. It definitely does not like a light touch, which I suppose is appropriate for slide out operations. Using my synced iphone is a little bit better. The other buttons on the screen work fine - but they are simple "on/off" commands.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Ddubya

Contact In Command. They are very helpful

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
E Rod

Thank you all for your suggestions. Tried them all to no avail. Called ASA ELECTRONICS one more time as the previous calls were not helpful. Finally a rep by the name of Tori Lloyd heard me out and read all my notes. Turns out I have the first version of the In Command system. She said there were problems when pressing the button for the hydraulic slide outs it would loose connection. She said they will be replacing my system with the next version at no cost to me . Thank God finally a company that backs their product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_101449.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	16689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_113337.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	16690  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
E Rod

Repaired slide out issue. Took doing some homework but thank God I figured it out. Happy camper now. I bypassed the In Command and installed a switch . Went online to download the wiring schematic. Had to make sure it didn't affect the level up system as they share the solenoid.

2017 Alpine 3660FL
Old 06-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #13
GBR

Congratulations. Can you share the process of parts and method of installing the switch as my wife and I get frustrated with the slide opening process due to dropping connection.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
E Rod

I went on line to Lippert web page. Downloaded the Service Manual. Printed pages 24-27. Taped 24 and 25 together to see complete diagram. Purchased a 6 pin rv slide out switch, male and female blade connectors for 12g.wire and depending from where your solenoid and hydraulic motor are you'll need some 16g. Wire. I purchased 12/4 wire cord at Lowe's. The 4 wire cord is sufficient as you will jumper the two center for hot and the top and bottom on right. Disconnected battery and shore power. Wired per diagram. Connected battery. Had to disconnect wire 42 that runs from the BCM to the solenoid. That identified which solenoid was for the slide out. Ran a new thicker gauge wire for ground as well. Tested and worked.
Hope this helps those having the same issue. I'm still having trouble getting Camping world to return calls or respond to emails sent by ASA ELECTRONICS to get the new hardwired version of the In Command installed. I couldn't wait for them any longer as I leave in 3 days for vacation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_122417.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	16817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_122348.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	16818  
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
E Rod

One thing I forgot to mention. Go to your settings and turn off the setting for that slide out. If u press it by mistake it will activate pump.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
GBR

Thanks E-Rod. This excellent post will help many of us in the months and years to come.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
Blizardj

Deleted.... no help...sorry..
Blizardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
azchoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
My unit doesn't have any mechanical switches for the kitchen hydraulic slide outs. The In Command is a touch screen pad mounted on wall. It controls lighting, water heater, pump, both electric and hydraulic slide outs. Only issue I'm having is when extending the hydraulic slide outs. I have to touch screen pad a few times till the kitchen slides are fully extended. Retracting is no problem .
I have a 2016 Keystone Alpine 3536RE. I have the InCommand too. I press the "Out" button on the touch screen until all three hydraulic slides are fully extended. I do the same for the retract of them. If I read you right you touch your out button once and they fully extend?
I had trouble when I first tried to retract my hyd slides and after having a remote tech look at it he discovered it was 2 quarts low on oil! Seems they didn't PDI it from the factory. Camping World in Mesa Az are terrible. Finally had to change out the manifold that is used to independently slide each hyd slide.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
ingalmi

Getting your finger on the right spot is challenging but doable. My In command was upgraded to a non-Bluetooth between the BCM and control panel, it’s hard wired but still have Bluetooth for IPhone. The BCM on all IN·Command system’s have manual selector switches to operate the hydraulic slides and awnings. I did install a slide switch next to the iN·Command control panel in the event the InCommand fails however you still would need to manually open the solenoid valve manually. No big deal just remember to close it when done.
ingalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:56 AM   #20
shirleys545

Touch screen control panel

I own a 2014 Keystone Cougar 280RLS, it came with the touch screen control panel, while it was in for service the dealer called and asked if I had any problems with one of my slideouts and I said no. Long story short they traced it down to the control panel being bad and said Keystone no longer had these in service so they replaced it with a mechanical switch control panel. I found it funny that they didn't carry parts to fix this problem but I guess I am better off, didn't know there were so many problems with the touch screen.
shirleys545 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, slide, slide out