Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #21
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1993rider View Post
Can new resin be added to RV softerner? We think we can do this but can’t find 0.2 cubic foot of resin around town. Our conditioner only lasted 2 years and was winterized. Campground has super hard water.
With our Watts softener, the manual shows all the available replacement parts, and one of the replacement parts is the softener resin media, .33 cubic foot.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Sonnystravels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The blue ones are filters. If you want a softener then you need something like this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-softener.htm
Hi, where do you put it when operating?
Sonnystravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnystravels View Post
Hi, where do you put it when operating?
Ive seen them mounted in the basement of a fiver, They take up a bit of room so you might want to measure before buying.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #24
Gary-n-Liz

We have a Mark 8000 that we adore. Recharging with table salt happens when it needs it depending on the area's water hardness. Have had it since 2016. Manufacturer included hardness test strips which are handy for testing: do I need it here, does the softener need to be recharged? Takes the guesswork out of it.
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
mikz86ta

I kind of envisioned a
way to mount the filter setup on the side of the frame close to where the city water connection is. Make a removable metal sheild to protect it. Use a short hose from filter to RV connection. And the main water hose from park to filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Ive seen them mounted in the basement of a fiver, They take up a bit of room so you might want to measure before buying.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #26
Whitewolf

I just ran across this thread. On a different note, I've been wanting to move away from the commercial holding tank chemicals.

I saw the Geo Method using water softener(preferably Calgon), liquid laundry soap and bleach.

So here's the question. Is using soft water (from having a water softener installed) the same as using powdered water softener?

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
bobbecky

I use the liquid Calgon, (get it a Walmart) one capfull in the tank, along with TankTechsRV, 1/2 oz after each black tank drain, along with a couple gallons of water. The black tank valve has been working great, and there is NO odor from the tank and basically no dangerous chemicals. I don't think the soft water will do much for the tank treatment.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I just ran across this thread. On a different note, I've been wanting to move away from the commercial holding tank chemicals.

I saw the Geo Method using water softener(preferably Calgon), liquid laundry soap and bleach.

So here's the question. Is using soft water (from having a water softener installed) the same as using powdered water softener?
Bleach? Why?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:35 AM   #29
jsmith948

Interesting thread. Our well water here is quite hard. lots of mineral build-up in our faucets. In our travels around the country, it seems that hard water (in varying degrees) is the norm and it is rare that we find 'soft" water at any given CG. We have talked about trying one of the portable RV water softeners, but, since these softeners use salt to treat the water, does that result in the water being salty? The DW is on a sodium free diet (nearly impossible). She has to read labels religiously and uses home made salt free recipes as much as possible. Our concern would be an increase in sodium - even if it can't be tasted. I would rather have to periodically clean/replace a faucet than throw her diet off the rails. Does anyone have experience with water softener use vs low sodium diet? Looking back and remembering when we could eat/drink anything - in any quantity

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is just one "good article" that discusses the amount of sodium that remains in and/or is released into "softened" water via a "household water softener"... http://homewater101.com/myth-water-s...ke-water-salty

Essentially, sodium is used by the softener resin bed as a means to displace magnesium and calcium (the two elements that cause hard water) during softener regeneration. Then, as water flows through the resin bed, the resin "gives up" sodium as it traps magnesium and calcium. That small amount of sodium is released into the water and would be consumed, possibly affecting a "overly strict sodium diet".

Speaking generally, water softeners pose no specific threat to sodium restricted diets, but each individual human "MIGHT" have a problem, even with that extremely low level of increased sodium intake.

My suggestion to your wife would be to discuss her "low sodium diet" with her healthcare provider. There are too many variables between individual patients and their sodium restrictions for anyone to make a recommendation in an RV forum. As a healthcare provider, I always am concerned when my patients start ignoring my advice and start listening to some "unknown person with questionable qualifications" on the internet..... So, I'd urge her to discuss the amount of sodium she can (and should) consume daily with her provider and get his/her input on whether an RV water softener would cause a problem with the sodium intake she must restrict.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post

Simple answer is YES! Been using a softener for 5+ years, no tank odors, no valves sticking, just add Dawn or some sort of liquid dish or laundry soap with couple gallons of water.
Just FYI, the Geo method DOES NOT have bleach in the mix!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #32
Whitewolf

For those who asked about the bleach, it's in the original recipe. I personally decided NOT to use it as bleach destroys bacteria, which is something we want to help break down 'certain' solids. I've decided to use Calgon, Borax and Simple Green. Haven't quite worked out the ratios yet. So far it's 2 CAPS liquid Calgon, 1 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup Simple Green. In my opinion, Simple Green, Dawn, laundry soap, Pine Sol or whatever is all the same. I've got a fair amount of Simple Green which is why I'm trying it.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #33
Wxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Interesting thread. Our well water here is quite hard. lots of mineral build-up in our faucets. In our travels around the country, it seems that hard water (in varying degrees) is the norm and it is rare that we find 'soft" water at any given CG. We have talked about trying one of the portable RV water softeners, but, since these softeners use salt to treat the water, does that result in the water being salty? The DW is on a sodium free diet (nearly impossible). She has to read labels religiously and uses home made salt free recipes as much as possible. Our concern would be an increase in sodium - even if it can't be tasted. I would rather have to periodically clean/replace a faucet than throw her diet off the rails. Does anyone have experience with water softener use vs low sodium diet? Looking back and remembering when we could eat/drink anything - in any quantity
I first would agree with what JRTJH said about speaking with health care provider. Another possible option to discuss is using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride as the 'salt'.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #34
bobbecky

The article at this link describes the process and talks about sodium in the treated water. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-softeners-wo/
Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #35
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here is just one "good article" that discusses the amount of sodium that remains in and/or is released into "softened" water via a "household water softener"... http://homewater101.com/myth-water-s...ke-water-salty
Thanks for the link - interesting read. I totally agree as to getting advice from the DW's doctor as apposed to the forum. I just wanted a sampling of opinions/experiences. Having read the info that you and others have posted, I believe we'll just get by without a softener at this point. Thanks for the responses.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #36
AbHDToyHauler

Water softeners usually are mounted on the "hot" water side. Your drinking water does not go through the water softener therefore it shouldn't affect your sodium free diet unless you put hot water into your food.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #37
bobbecky

I think if someone had an issue with sodium in their diet, just drink bottled water. Attempting to just soften the hot water side would be a bit challenging with these rigs, and I kept our hookup to the softener simple so it could be accessed for recharging. I can set a five gallon bucket upside down and with four foot connection hoses, I just set the softener on the bucket to do the recharge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water softener connection.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	18449  
Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Water softeners usually are mounted on the "hot" water side. Your drinking water does not go through the water softener therefore it shouldn't affect your sodium free diet unless you put hot water into your food.
I have never heard of this, either in S&B, campers, restaurant industry, or anywhere else.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #39
Wxman

Our S&B is like that in the kitchen only. Soft water throughout house except for cold at kitchen faucet. That way we have choice for cooking, making drinks, or watering house plants. I will use water from the hot faucet in coffeemaker, etc., but the cold (non softened) for most other consumption. Works for us.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #40
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have never heard of this, either in S&B, campers, restaurant industry, or anywhere else.
Never heard of this either!
Most systems for S&B are advertised as "whole house" softeners, that's hard to do it's only connected to the water heater. I have seen an extra faucet at kitchen sinks that are either instant hot water or filtered drinking water, but not hot softened only!
Mines in a milk crate with a filter before & after the softener connected to the park faucet thru filters/softener then into the rv.
We have a brown shower stall (chocolate milk colored) & the hard water made it a bi##h to keep clean, also my anode rod has lasted almost 2 years with the soft water.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water