Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Slide Binding....Cold weather??

Must be the time for slide issues.

I moved my trailer from storage to my property next door 2 days ago. On setup here the slides worked just fine...in and out. Left them out for 2 days and today, about lunch, I pulled them in and took them back to the storage barn. It sat for a couple of hours and I decided to put them all back out. When I did they all (3) acted like they were binding a little. About 4-5 hours later I tried to pull them in. The bedroom (small) was binding a little but not bad. The kitchen (the heaviest) was binding a bit more and groaning/squeaking. The living room slide made terrible groaning noises and started to sound like the gears were jerking. It stopped several times (thermal reset?) but I finally got it in. We were preparing to leave for FL in 4 days and now this pops up.

I've done a quick run through of some of the issues discussed in other threads on the forum and printed the BAL Accu Slide owner's manual, but, I'm not sure of the cause. The cables look just like they did when it was working OK. In fact, it all looks OK. I'm wondering if cold weather could have an effect on the operation of the slides? They have worked just fine in the past unless I tried to open them when obviously unlevel. Today, the temp is colder than it has been all year and it's dropping. It is the only variable that's different. Reckon the bottom of the slides are binding due to that or...?? It's getting colder tonite and tomorrow but I need to try something. I had some slide lube I had never used but when I tried to use it it looked like dark brown goo so held off on that. Any thoughts would be appreciated so I can get on this tomorrow.

Danny
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
xrated

To me, if they had been working OK in the past, and basically nothing has changed except the temperatures getting colder, that is most likely the issue. One other thought, were your battery/batteries properly charge when you are tying to run the slides in and out.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. New batteries, fully charged. I've kept it on shore power at the house and at the barn as we got ready. It's not done this before in cold weather but that was winter before last and it was almost new. I've not cleaned under the slides or lubed them so I'm thinking maybe the cold is causing a problem with the seals?? Didn't know if anyone else may have experienced something like this.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The seals are, for the most part, foam rubber. They will get a bit stiffer when cold, but the surface becomes harder as well, allowing it to "slide without grabbing" also. So, unless something else has changed significantly, I'd guess it's weather related. I'd suggest you make sure your RV is level side to side, if it's leaning, you may be asking the slide to travel "uphill"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
slow

My guess: the seals do not "flip over" as easily in cold temps and that is why it seems to be binding.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John. We normally don't go to the trouble of doing minute checks on leveling in the barn because it is pretty level. Today I took a level and leveled it side to side and front to back. My only thought is the cold (we live in W TX and this is our first bout into the 20's). I think I'll just try to wipe down all the contact points and lube them as seems appropriate with something that doesn't thicken in the cold. If not, I'm calling off the trip. I've prepaid my spot for Jan/Feb but I'm not up to trying to fight malfunctioning slides on a trip in the winter (2 surgeries and another due to complications in the last 5 weeks). I'll see how it goes. And thanks as always.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Tbos

If you haven't had the heat on in the RV or if you can put some heat in the barn try that or put a light under the slide and let it provide some heat. That might tell you if the cold is the reason. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide