Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Dish or Direct with Google Fiber at home?

Really wanting to add a satellite system to our trailer for use next year. Here is my situation though: At home we have Google Fiber for our Tv. The posts I have read on here say that the users already have Dish or Direct at home and simply take their receiver to their trailer and viola, it works! My questions are, does any one use Dish or Direct in their trailer and don't have Dish or Direct at home? How does it work for you? Any issues with using it as you go?

Thanks in advance,

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

Re: Dish or Direct with Google Fiber at home?

It would work the same as what the people on here are doing. The only problem I see is that if you are out of the RV for a longer period of time and the satellite receiver does not have signal to it, the receiver may loose its Authorization and you may have to call in to get it reauthorized for your service. The other issue is someone that is taking it from their house are not paying for two services at once. You on the other hand may be. You would probably just buy your equipment outright, and then have to pay a one time activation fee ($25 I believe), and if you are not using the service for a period of time can put your account on "vacation" and that cost you roughly $5 a month, and you don't have to pay the activation fee when reactivated.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have had Directv since 2002, and take a receiver from the house when I go camping. I know Dish had "pay as you go" plans, but you would have to contact both providers to see if it's still available.

At some point the networks sued the satellite providers saying that when you were out of your Viewing area, the "local" stations lost revenue. Courts agreed and if I travel too far from home I lose those channels. Directs answer was "direct way" at $7.00/mo. That got you either the East or West coast feeds. I figure you can get the locals over the air so it's not an issue with me.

Another consideration is HD viewing. The only way to view Directv in HD with a dish on your RV is the Winegard "Travler" at about $2500.00 plus installation. There are portable dishes that will allow you to receive HD on Dish network. I have HD at home, and standard def in the trailer, after all your supposed to be "roughing it". I did purchase my SD reciever, but I lease the HD reciever. Not sure what the equipment costs are with Dish network.

Call both providers and ask lots of questions. Determine how much money your willing to spend on the satellite dish, mine finds the satellites by itself but I paid for that convienence. Lots to think about

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
kfxgreenie

You can get HD equipment with dish for about $400, automatically finds the satellites if available. Dish is who I was referring to above with the pricing and they now have mix and match package's.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...FQSRaQodsbICrA

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...receiver/87758
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote