Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Campy

Anybody use a macerator pump?

I have been eyeing getting a macerator pump for empting the holding tanks while my camper is in the storage building. My storage has a restroom about 40 feet away and this would be easier than going to the dump station two towns over.
If you use one which brand and have you had any issues? I have been looking at Flowjet.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A flojet macerator pump will work for what you're looking to do. There are three types, water powered, AC powered and DC powered. If you're only going to use it at home, I'd get the AC powered version. If you think you might want to use it "dry camping" then I'd consider the DC powered version. For me, I'd avoid the water powered one. It uses a substantial amount of water to "drive the macerator knife" and just adds to the amount of "stuff you pump through your garden hose"....

Oh, and no matter which version you get, make sure you have the "strongest vent fan available" in the bathroom you use for the "other end of the hose".... You're in for a "treat" that you'll learn to dread with every use......

Possibly, if you have a plumbing "cleanout connection" on the outside of the building that you could modify to add a hose fitting?????? that way you'd "avoid the aroma"................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Cyberian

Re: Anybody use a macerator pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
...Possibly, if you have a plumbing "cleanout connection" on the outside of the building that you could modify to add a hose fitting?????? that way you'd "avoid the aroma"................
Definitely! You might be surprised at how much and how quickly they pump!

Closed circuit is the way to go. I pump our tanks with a 12vdc Flojet thru 75' of dedicated 3/4 hose over about a 4' rise into an adapted cleanout. I also have plugs & caps for all the hose connections when not using to pump.

It's not as quick as wide open dump valves thru the stinky slinky, but the convenience is worth it.
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote