Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
poopy

simple green

can you use simple green to clean roof caulking seams to add a little around "trouble areas?". thanks.
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes you can. Be sure to wipe any residue away as you want a clean dry surface soothe sealant will adhere. If your using Dicor on the seams, you can use denatured alcohol as it will dry quickly and not leave any film or residue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
hankaye

poopy, Howdy;

I was curious about Simple Green also so last July I sent an inquiry
to them. This is the response that I received;

Hello Hank,

Thank you for contacting Simple Green and for your interest in our products.

Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner is suitable for cleaning you EPDM rubber roof. The product does not contain any abrasives, solvents, d’limonene, or petroleum distillates. The recommended dilution ratio for cleaning your roof is about 1:10. After cleaning, rinse thoroughly.

I hope that this information helps. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via reply email or at the number below. I’m available Monday thru Friday from 8 – 5 Pacific Standard Time.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Simple Green

Theresa Provolt
Customer Service and
Business Support Manager
p. 562.795.6091 • f. 562.795.6091
[email protected]

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
denverpilot

Be cautious on one thing with Simple Green -- it will eat unpainted/unprotected aluminum if allowed to stay on it.

After aircraft owners noticed this, they started making an "aviation" version that will not.

Thus, their admonition to "rinse thoroughly".
Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
bsmith0404

It works great for cleaning bugs off the front cap as well, but will remove all waxes and cause fading. Another reason to make sure you rinse thoroughly and don't get it on other surfaces.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Be cautious on one thing with Simple Green -- it will eat unpainted/unprotected aluminum if allowed to stay on it.

After aircraft owners noticed this, they started making an "aviation" version that will not.

Thus, their admonition to "rinse thoroughly".
I bought a supply of the aluminum compatible Simple Green Extreme for use on my airplane. Also works well on other aluminum items, like the motorcycle, quads, etc. As good as the original Simple Green is, you still have to be careful with the application.

The best (and cheapest) degreaser/laundry pre-spray/stain remover I have used is Awesome from the Dollar Store. Just don't breath the vapors.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I was doing some reading on the DICOR website yesterday for another question on the forum and came across this comment from DICOR: "CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery" http://www.dicorproducts.com/catalog...membrane/#care

The comment is in both the BriteTEK (TPO) cleaning instructions and in the EPDM cleaning instructions.

Also, in the DICOR FAQ section is this Q&A: "What do I need to care for my roof?
Periodic cleaning (see Dicor care & maintenance instructions). We recommend you stay away from anything that smells "fruity" or "flowery". These smells will attract birds, bees, squirrels, raccoons & other "critters". http://www.dicorproducts.com/faq/

I remembered this thread, so I went to the Simple Green website to look at their list of ingredients.

This is what is in Simple Green: Water, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate, Sodium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Isothiazolinone mixture, Fragrance, Colorant

I do acknowledge that Simple Green's manufacturer says their product is OK to use on EPDM and TPO roofing, but DICOR says "don't do it"... You may never have an issue with Simple Green, but if you have a problem with the 10 year warranty on your roof and DICOR can determine that you used a "citric acid based cleaner", they may disapprove your warranty claim. Also, some of the Simple Green formulas (lemon scent, etc) may attract pests to your roof, compounding your cleaning problems.

I know that we've all heard the warning, "Don't use gasoline to clean greasy auto parts" but many of us "ignore the warning" anyway. Simple Green may well be in the "ignore the warning" category for many of us.

I'll leave the decision up to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
cw3jason

Simple green is highly acidic. we used it on our aircraft for a while and lost a few transmissions due to corrosion.
The only thing required to clean your roof is mild soap or detergent like spic n span or dawn dish detergent.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
jsmith948

Dawn dish soap plus a couple handfuls of Borax. Rinse thoroughly. Apply your favorite sunscreen/ protectant (303 for us).

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Dawn dish soap plus a couple handfuls of Borax. Rinse thoroughly. Apply your favorite sunscreen/ protectant (303 for us).
Dawn and 303. That would be my choice. Been using Dawn in the black tank, too. Wish 303 was available at the Dollar Store like Dawn.

Better life through chemistry. Speaking of that, Have popcorn and ready for another engine oil thread.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote