Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
abc40kids

Black Tank Valve

I have a 2015 Mountaimeer 356TBF..... I'd say about the third time out after flushing the black tank at the end of the weekend I found that the black tank handle / rod to close the tank would not go in all the way and stay. I could push hard and hold it closed but when I let go it would back off like a 1/4". Do you think its something wrong with the rod ( worked fine first two trips ) or something hung up by the gate? I tried flushing it out real good with one of those wands but that didn't help.

I haven't started pulling things apart yet and it's still under its one year warranty and extended warranty. I think I'd try to fix it myself at home before I tracel 2 hours back to the dealer. Any ideas would be great, thanks..... Jeff
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
gearhead

Mine did the same thing. The valve felt "springy" when I tried to close it. It leaked a bit too. I was under warranty so I called the dealer and got an appointment for repair. In the meantime I bought a twist-on valve to put on the end of the drain pipe. I think it was $20. Maybe Alterra brand. The dealer replaced the valve and all is well. They didn't say what was wrong, or I don't remember. I left the twist-on valve on it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
hankaye

abc40kids, Howdy;

Could be as simple as one of the seals having 'rolled' and not allowing
the sliding part to seat. Your choice as to who gets dirty, you or the tech
at the dealership ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree, most likely a seal has failed. NOT fun to change so if your under warranty let the "new guy" get initiated. I did a black tank valve my second day of employment as a tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
bobbecky

We had a relative stay with us overnight when the rig was new, and afterward, ours wouldn't close either. So, into the selling dealer to get it fixed. $250 later, it was working again and was not a warranty issue as there was a disposable wipe hung in the gate. There are no wipes in the rig anymore, lesson learned.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
therink

Do you have disposable wipes in your rig? If so, this is likely the culprit. I have had this happen twice and both times had to remove the valve to remove the hardened wipe lodged into the valve flange. I highly recommend to try flushing the tank at least half a dozen times before you take to dealer. When flushing tank, fill it all the way with water then let her rip and dump, while moving the valve in and out. If this doesn't work to dislodge the wipe or other debris, you may need to remove the valve and dislodge it manually. If you take to dealer and they have to remove debris, you will likely be handed a large repair bill.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
abc40kids

Black tank

Thanks guys! I think I'll wait till early spring when it's safe to de-winterize and fill it up and dump a few times. The tank is pretty clean now so I can just let it run in my back yard. Maybe if I fill it up and love the valve in and out a few times while its emptying out it might shake loose and debris. I stuck that wand down as far as possible with no luck. Maybe I should have just ran a hose down to the gate and let it run?? If it's a seal then it's all for not: I thought about a mobile RV tech? It's under warranty with an extended warranty but I'll kill a whole day just dropping it off and another to go get it.

I might try the extended warranty company to see if they will cover a mobile tech. A couple hundred out of pocket will be better than blowing two days on the road.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc40kids View Post
Thanks guys! I think I'll wait till early spring when it's safe to de-winterize and fill it up and dump a few times. The tank is pretty clean now so I can just let it run in my back yard. Maybe if I fill it up and love the valve in and out a few times while its emptying out it might shake loose and debris. I stuck that wand down as far as possible with no luck. Maybe I should have just ran a hose down to the gate and let it run?? If it's a seal then it's all for not: I thought about a mobile RV tech? It's under warranty with an extended warranty but I'll kill a whole day just dropping it off and another to go get it.

I might try the extended warranty company to see if they will cover a mobile tech. A couple hundred out of pocket will be better than blowing two days on the road.
The point several people have tried to make is that if it is something "lodged in the seal" (like a wipe or toilet paper or ???) The cause will not be "seal failure" or "valve failure" but will be "abuse" and the warranty will not cover the repair. That's why others have indicated that they had a $250 repair bill for a similar leaking valve. Be cautious about turning it over to a mobile repair tech or even to your selling dealership if you have any "inkling" that it might be something stuck in the seal that's preventing the valve from closing!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
abc40kids

Black tank

Yeh, I understood what the above was saying. I would pay $200.00 to a mobile guy if I can't fix it myself before I take a day to hook up and drive to the dealer and then take another day to go back and get it. If the mobile guy finds something defective then I'll pay him and submit his bill to my extended warranty company. If they pay it great, if not and its under $300.00 we'll still better than two days lost on the road.