Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
kguess

Acadia National Park/ Schoodic Woods Campground

We just returned from our first trip to Maine and Acadia Nat. Park. Wanted to share some observations for others that May be heading that way in the future. The new Schoodic Woods campground that open in September is outstanding! It has terrific sites, water, and electricity. Of course it also has a dump station. We have a senior national Park pass, so it was $25 per night. Regular price is $50 per night I believe. But still a great deal compared to what you would pay a private campgrounds in the area that would not have nearly the atmosphere of this place. They also supplied a daily pile of split firewood for the campground, which I thought was awfully nice. Not sure if this would be the case all the time. The Schoodic Peninsula is very quiet compared to the area of bar harbor and the rest of the park. We looked at all the campgrounds while we were exploring the area but nothing got our interest so we stayed at Schoodic woods for 10 days and moved around with in the park by way of our pick up. If you travel to desert, Bar Harbor, area it is about a 75 mile round-trip. But to us it was worth it because we liked the new campground so much better then anything else we found. If you like to bike, make sure you do some of the carriage Road trails with in the park near desert island/Bar Harbor. IMO, that was the most outstanding bike ride I have ever been on. Going to the top of Cadillac Mountain is also a must. All in all, our trip to Maine was outstanding. And except for two blowouts on our Keystone Hideout 19FLB ,the trip went well with no other issues. By the way, we bought all new tires after the second blowout!
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
theeyres

Maine and Aradia NP is amongst my all time favorites. Glad you liked it. The new park sounds wonderful.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
twolabcamper

Thanks a bunch. We are headed there in August. And we have the senior pass. Great!
Spending Saturday in Vermont and the Sunday to Friday in Maine.

Going to Asheville in two weeks!
twolabcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Most places to park RVs are closed in Maine in early October. The OP was lucky to find one to spend 10 days in during October.

I have a 1st cousin that owns a CG in central NH. They open the 1st week of May and close the 1st week of October.

If you stay in the Trenton area there are free van sized shuttles to Bar Harbor & Acadia NP.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Pull Toy

Just a thought, and I don't for sure know the answer regarding campsites.

As a disabled vet with a registered "Handicapped Parking Permit", I have a lifetime National Park Pass that allows me and my party free access to any National Park, or National Historic Site or Landmark. Anyone know if this is a different situation from a Seniors Pass, and how that might affect camping rates?

If there is, and you qualify as an HP, you might want to consider this option...

"I'll trade you my parking space, for your legs any day!"

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

As a disabled vet with a registered "Handicapped Parking Permit", I have a lifetime National Park Pass that allows me and my party free access to any National Park, or National Historic Site or Landmark. Anyone know if this is a different situation from a Seniors Pass, and how that might affect camping rates?

If there is, and you qualify as an HP, you might want to consider this option...

I salute and thank you for your service and sacrifice. I really do appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

Thank you for your service. To answer your question about discounts on camping, this is a portion of the explanation on the NPS website: "•May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services."

You can access the entire benefit explanation for the access pass for those with permanent disabilities here: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #8
buckeyebobhockingcamper

headed to maine in august also,checked scoodic woods for availability aug 6th,o rv sites!they dont ask size of unit either,not sure its big rig friendly.any other rv parks around bar harbor?
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
twolabcamper

Check out http://www.campgroundviews.com
YouTube shows the sites.
twolabcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
MarineFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebobhockingcamper View Post
headed to maine in august also,checked scoodic woods for availability aug 6th,o rv sites!they dont ask size of unit either,not sure its big rig friendly.any other rv parks around bar harbor?
I'm coming in a bit too late for you but throwing it out for anyone else that pops in. I live North of Bangor and have been camping during the summer in Bar Harbor area (usually during end of July to beginning of August). We've always stayed at Hadley's Point Campground run by 3rd generation family and they accommodate large rigs all the way down to tent sections and also added cabins a few years ago. Friends I know stay at Narrows Two off the Island in Trenton (not far away). Also a KOA as you are getting on the Island on the right with waterfront sites too however I do know it is quite expensive there. Check them out online and compare. There are more but those are just a few.

2015 Avalanche 361TG
2017 GMC 3500HD Duramax
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote