Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
hdrolling

Picking a camping area while traveling?

So what do the bigger camper and RV owners look for while traveling to know that their rig will fit in the camping area?

We have been looking at camping areas in the NC mountains and use camping area reviews to judge whether or not we will have issues getting in and out of a camp ground.

Just wondering what tips and tricks the seasoned touring folks use to make sure their not rolling into a headache after being on the road fighting traffic all day?

My toy hauler is 38' and with my dually attached around 48' (truck is 21').

What methods do you use ie. Internet, call, campground indexes (KOA)?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
Desert185

I use Passport America along with RV Parky, do a satellite look-see, then call them for a pull through availability for our 37 footer. Seems to be enough homework to avoid issues. Tree branches are my major worry.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
EricLynnAllison

I agree with above. RVParky and google earth and then call and tell them what I am coming in with. At 42', I need to be careful and prepared.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
So what do the bigger camper and RV owners look for while traveling to know that their rig will fit in the camping area?

We have been looking at camping areas in the NC mountains and use camping area reviews to judge whether or not we will have issues getting in and out of a camp ground.

Just wondering what tips and tricks the seasoned touring folks use to make sure their not rolling into a headache after being on the road fighting traffic all day?

My toy hauler is 38" and with my dually attached around 48" (truck is 21").

What methods do you use ie. Internet, call, campground indexes (KOA)?
I assume you mean 38 feet and 48 feet and 21 feet, not the inches that you indicated. Otherwise, the little dinky cars would fit even the smallest campsite.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
I assume you mean 38 feet and 48 feet and 21 feet, not the inches that you indicated. Otherwise, the little dinky cars would fit even the smallest campsite.
Yes, good catch. Having a three month old screaming to eat every three hours night and day is taking its toll on me.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 AM   #6
bsmith0404

so far calling ahead to make sure they can fit a 40' 5th wheel with 4 slides has worked. I have also been able to eliminate a few areas by reading reviews from other campers. Most will tell you pretty honestly if they can fit your rig or not since they do not want an issue when you arrive. As already mentioned tree branches have been the bigger issue for me, especially with the full body paint. If there are a lot of trees I tend to walk the route from the office at check in. I did have one where I asked that a branch be removed/trimmed back, they took care of it quickly without question.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

We use the internet, Passport America, RV Parky, google earth and Good Sam to locate RV parks and start culling from there. I then call them and discuss access, parking etc. The trailer is a 37' bumper pull behind a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup so we get fairly long. Had good luck so far. Big concern is over hanging trees which sometimes gets overlooked. Also be sure and ask about the slides. Some places are so narrow that even when they said they had "wide" spaces our slides almost touch the next guys slides....which we don't like.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote